Ok be honest!!!!!

dustywallen

May 18, 2012
Kingsport, TN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 and 350. Currently AT PRO.
I really would like to know how many fellow penny searchers out there have bought these SUPER rolls on ebay or other sites. You know the ones that have the good coins on the end and who knows in the middle. I bought one seems as if I gave around $30 for it had a VDB showing on both ends. The seller of course stated that many 09S had been found and this was one of the last rolls. Well I did get to 09 VDB both in decent shape F-XF. I am just curious though has anyone else bought them and what was your experince

Upvote 0
dustywallen said:
I really would like to know how many fellow penny searchers out there have bought these SUPER rolls on ebay or other sites. You know the ones that have the good coins on the end and who knows in the middle. I bought one seems as if I gave around $30 for it had a VDB showing on both ends. The seller of course stated that many 09S had been found and this was one of the last rolls. Well I did get to 09 VDB both in decent shape F-XF. I am just curious though has anyone else bought them and what was your experince

Personally...there are to many of these cent rolls with something awesome on the ends...WAY to good to be true IMHO. Be careful with these. I have a hard time believing there are that many unopened rolls out there!

If you did get some 1909's though that's cool but what was in between?

I have never bought any of these types of rolls. Its just a marketing ploy to get unsavvy "collectors" to overpay for for rolls of mostly common date wheaties. It seems to work well.

Think about it. If you came across a roll of cents that had a VDB showing on both ends, would you open it or sell it as-is? The only way to "win" with this type of roll is to pay no more than the value of what you can see.

Coin Town said:
Personally...there are to many of these cent rolls with something awesome on the ends...WAY to good to be true IMHO. Be careful with these. I have a hard time believing there are that many unopened rolls out there!

If you did get some 1909's though that's cool but what was in between?

I really don't recall I have went through so many bags, rolls, jars, and hoards it is hard to recall. Seems like there were a mixture of teens and 20's

ArkieBassMan said:
I have never bought any of these types of rolls. Its just a marketing ploy to get unsavvy "collectors" to overpay for for rolls of mostly common date wheaties. It seems to work well.

Think about it. If you came across a roll of cents that had a VDB showing on both ends, would you open it or sell it as-is? The only way to "win" with this type of roll is to pay no more than the value of what you can see.

Yes I agree. I guess the "unknown " factor got the best of me. If I had the money I have spent on "unsearched " coins I could have a lot more key dates that is for sure.

Yes I agree. I guess the "unknown " factor got the best of me. If I had the money I have spent on "unsearched " coins I could have a lot more key dates that is for sure.

It happens. I occasionally buy a lottery ticket or two. FWIW, I personally feel I have a slightly better chance of winning the Powerball than finding a 1909S VDB in an "unsearched" roll of cents on eBay. lol

ArkieBassMan said:
It happens. I occasionally buy a lottery ticket or two. FWIW, I personally feel I have a slightly better chance of winning the Powerball than finding a 1909S VDB in an "unsearched" roll of cents on eBay. lol

Lol that is true I guess. You have a cent collection?

Lol that is true I guess. You have a cent collection?

Not a very good one. Lotsa common date wheaties. A few VDBs, Indians, and I think 4 large cents. I don't CRH cents that often as the averages have been terrible. Average box is about 3 wheaties and 11% copper.

I bid on them all the time. Just on the value I see.

Ever found a key or semi key?

I did once, I was cleaning out my sock drawer and there it was, the key that I lost to my house. I had changed the locks and everything in between because I lost the "Key". Man was I mad when I
found it. I have never found a "Semi Key", if I did I don't know what I would do with the tractor that it belonged to, my driveway isn't that big...:laughing7:

Umm...I got really close to bidding on one with a 3-cent piece on the end, but these guys weren't unsearched, he just stuffs than well with a few mercs and sometimes a barber inside, 3-4 Indian heads and usually 2 nice end coins. the key is to pay just for what you think the end coin is worth, so you get everything else else free. I like the idea of selling ones people make themselves, and actually put good things in them and after they make a few thousand off of them, maybe put in on the end that 1916d merc or 1909s vdb. That would keep overall sales up, and that's what one guy does, because he had great feedback and has only had one negative feedback out of like 4000. So I came close once, but never did. I might buy one of his because they are cruelly decent, although the end coins are usually always really good like seateds, civil war tokens, VDBs, occasionally busts.

When I first got back into coin collecting I bought a $30 bag of unsearched wheats supposedly from a hoard. Looking back on it, it was totally not worth the money, but back then I actually thought I was looking through unsearched coins and it was a hell of a lot of fun. Wouldn't do it again though!

I have found that if you want a complete set you bout have to buy the keys and semi keys out right. Guess this is why I bid $1000 on a 09 s vdb tonight.

dustywallen said:
I have found that if you want a complete set you bout have to buy the keys and semi keys out right. Guess this is why I bid $1000 on a 09 s vdb tonight.

I would NEVER pay that much for a single coin unless I KNEW I could make a quick turn around on it. I would go through $1,000,000 of cents before I went and bought a 1909s vdb.

What I don't understand is if they are unsearched how do they know its a penny roll when, say, there's a seated dime on both ends? I mean, if it was truly unsearched you'd think it would be all dimes wouldn't you? It just bugs me that they say they are unsearched when they are most obviously searched.

Generic_Lad said:
What I don't understand is if they are unsearched how do they know its a penny roll when, say, there's a seated dime on both ends? I mean, if it was truly unsearched you'd think it would be all dimes wouldn't you? It just bugs me that they say they are unsearched when they are most obviously searched.

Yeah and on the unsearched " shotgun rolls, I doubt the mint machines accidentally put a dime in their cent rolls.

Generic_Lad said:

Oh and same with the Indian heads. There is 2 Indian heads on the end but it is a roll of wheat pennies from the 40's and 50's! Good stuff...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back