What's new

OK--Got another Tough one for ya

BuckleBoy

Platinum Member
Joined
Jun 12, 2006
Messages
18,159
Reaction score
9,723
Golden Thread
4
Location
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
4
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is an item that has puzzled me for a while. I found one in Virginia as a kid and have misplaced it. I dug this one in Kentucky this year, and below is a link to one that was found and posted online by someone else.

Mine were housesite finds--so I would think that the piece is farm or farming implement related, or perhaps horse-related...

thingy 001.webp

thingy 002.webp


Here's the link to the other one.


http://metaldetectingworld.com/photogalary/rev_war_relics/pages/RW42.htm


These seem to appear at sites that date from 1800-1860, give or take.




Best Wishes,


Buckles
 
Reminds me of that little piece that hold the brush inside of an antique carpet sweeper
 

Attachments

  • cadb_1.webp
    cadb_1.webp
    10.9 KB · Views: 758
  • cadb2.webp
    cadb2.webp
    12.3 KB · Views: 742
Upvote 0
To me it looks like the top of a diaphragm ( not that kind!) for a pump with the leather or rubber gone.maybe a thermostat for a car.
 

Attachments

  • diaphram.webp
    diaphram.webp
    2.2 KB · Views: 694
Upvote 0
Looks like a lid of some sort....designed to let steam or scent to escape??
 
Upvote 0
jopher said:
Looks like a lid of some sort....designed to let steam or scent to escape??

My first thought when I dug it was that it was a lid...but I think that those holes are nail holes to attach the piece to a wooden cylinder of some sort, perhaps.
 
Upvote 0
WAG. . . end cap for an old "roll-type" window shade ??? First thing that came to mind. . . oh well :-\

Happy Holidays to you and family!
watercolor
 
Upvote 0
Maybe its off the end of a 1800's wooden embossed wallpaper roller :icon_queen:
 

Attachments

  • vintage-wallpaper-rollers.webp
    vintage-wallpaper-rollers.webp
    28.7 KB · Views: 691
Upvote 0
How tall is the piece that sticks up? Can we see a side view perhaps? :)
 
Upvote 0
Gypsy Heart said:
Maybe its off the end of a 1800's wooden embossed wallpaper roller :icon_queen:

Now that's a cool guess! I'm gonna look back through my photos and see what else I found on the same site this came from...


I'll also post a side photo. :)
 
Upvote 0
Watercolor nailed it!
I am pretty sure it is part of a window shade. The holes are where it was nailed onto the end of the shade.
 
Upvote 0
Here is a photo of the other finds that came up at the same site as this piece:

My Finds.webp


Below are photos of the side of this thing.

My Finds.webp

thingy 001.webp
 

Attachments

  • thingy 002.webp
    thingy 002.webp
    29.2 KB · Views: 568
Upvote 0
End of a roller window shade..
 
Upvote 0
cosmic said:
End of a roller window shade..

Did they have window shades in the Civil War Era?
 
Upvote 0
BuckleElf said:
cosmic said:
End of a roller window shade..

Did they have window shades in the Civil War Era?

Harpers Weekly advertisement
[OCTOBER 4, 1862.
640
THAT DRAFT.
JEFF DAVIS. "Shut the Door, SLIDELL ALEXANDER, I'm shivering all over! That Draft from the North will be the death of me—I feel it!"

SLIDELL ALEXANDER. "C-c-cant shut it, Massa. ABE LINCOLN'S got his Back 'gainst it. Better try a little 'o dis de Doctor left yer."

LACE CURTAINS, MUSLIN CURTAINS,DAMASK CURTAINS, SATINDELAINE CURTAINS, BROCATELLE CURTAINS, CORNICES, CORDS, TASSELS, GIMP, &c. Retail prices not advanced. KELTY'S, No. 359 BROADWAY.

359 BROADWAY. GOLD WINDOW SHADES, BUFF HOLLAND WINDOW SHADES, WHITE HOLLAND WINDOW SHADES, GREEN HOLLAND WINDOW SHADES, WIRE SHADES, at 50 cents per foot. Retail prices not advanced. G. L. & J. B. KELTY.
http://www.sonofthesouth.net/leefoundation/civil-war/1862/october/slave-cartoon.htm
 
Upvote 0
Goodyguy said:
Watercolor nailed it!
I am pretty sure it is part of a window shade. The holes are where it was nailed onto the end of the shade.
It looks like a nail has elongated one of the holes.
 
Upvote 0
OK--I'm sold. :)


Thanks everyone for your help. :thumbsup:



And congrats on a Great ID.



-Buckles
 
Upvote 0
Another piece of junk IDed. I find (toss) loads of these, often wondered what they were.
 
Upvote 0
CRUSADER said:
Another piece of junk IDed. I find (toss) loads of these, often wondered what they were.

I figured others had found these too...just not known what they were. I've got an even tougher one that I've found several examples of in different sites.

I'll get around to posting it sooner or later.


Best Wishes,


Buckles
 
Upvote 0
A question to a question. In your photo of your finds BuckleElf I see these objects, I have found these sort of things once or twice, does anyone know what they are?
 

Attachments

  • things.webp
    things.webp
    5 KB · Views: 336
Upvote 0
CRUSADER said:
Another piece of junk IDed. I find (toss) loads of these, often wondered what they were.
I don't believe a professional like yourself "toss" anything Cru! I sure don't.
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom