Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I got a lot of everything at this Fort from a 8lb 1804-1808 cannon ball,Trimes, War of 1812 Artillery buttons just it?s been my honey hole but it?s brutal so I?ve spent the last four hours sweating my butt off in this heat but out popped this. Has anybody seen this it looks like it would?ve been a button but the shank in the back doesn?t look like a shank. If anybody knows please let me know I have a hour drive home lol

Whatever it is thank you Lord [emoji1317] image-2021-06-14-15:33:18-977.jpg
image-2021-06-14-15:33:30-749.jpg
image-2021-06-14-15:34:01-147.jpg
image-2021-06-14-15:34:18-121.jpg
Once again thank you for looking

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No, that's a different item. Take a wire brush to it. I don't see any letters and on and the back really matters for a good ID.

Upvote 0

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Real nice save and find Truth. Let us know when you get an I'D on this. This piece looks familiar.

Upvote 0

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not sure it's a button. May be a stud off something. That type of star was used on Maine buttons but if memory serves (har har har for memory), it did not have a rim that large. Wire whisk the back. NO electrolysis.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ok guys this is what I know. There?s no ladders on it which would swing me over to a Texas sort of button bought the two holes on the back our connected which I?m assuming is a button image-2021-06-14-19:12:56-649.jpg
image-2021-06-14-19:13:22-930.jpg
image-2021-06-14-19:13:42-320.jpg
image-2021-06-14-19:13:52-172.jpg
Now what I do know it is in the direct place where I found all my war of 1812 buttons but that?s all I got. At least after four hours of digging in this humid cesspool I got something that made me tingle inside. Haven?t heard that feeling in a while. I love when I get something I don?t really know what it is. I appreciate y?all looking out

Upvote 0

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok, that settled it. It's a very late 19th century to very modern blazer button. That type of back was made late and is still being made today.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
So what you?re telling me it?s not a rare one of a kind military button. Is that what you?re telling me smoky LOL

It was fun while it lasted now for my next adventure tomorrow

Upvote 0

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If the button is hollow, its a self shank like villagenut said. Good for either the junk box or something like that. I don't keep that kind.

Upvote 0

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
Detector(s) used
White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Just trying to clear up some apparent confusion about button-back types and terminology...

Your find is a (hollow) 2-piece button, meaning in this case, a sheetbrass front piece whose edges are crimped over the sheet-iron back. The back has a dome at its center which is pierced straight through from side-to-side, thereby forming a "shank" for attaching the button to clothing. This is one version of what is called a self-shank back. This particular version is called a "pierced dome" self-shank back. If I recall correctly, the "pierced dome" self-shank back was US-patented in 1912 or thereabouts. There are a couple of versions of it. The earliest has a simple drilled hole through the dome. The edges of the hole are thus sharp, and would cut through the attaching thread fairly soon with daily use. So, an improved version has the hole's edges "rolled" to eliminate the sharp-edge problem. See the photos below.

By the way... no actual American Federal or State Military buttons have a self-shank back.

Attachments

• button_self-shank-back_false-3piece_1832-1902-eagle_ironback_backview_Ebay (2).jpg
    button_self-shank-back_false-3piece_1832-1902-eagle_ironback_backview_Ebay (2).jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 41
  • button_self-shank-back_civilian-imitation-USNavy-button_Ebay_60_3.jpg
    button_self-shank-back_civilian-imitation-USNavy-button_Ebay_60_3.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 35
  • button_self-shank_USOfficer1832-1902_false3piece_backview_TN_photobyMcogan-LIMongoMike_IMG_3675.jpg
    button_self-shank_USOfficer1832-1902_false3piece_backview_TN_photobyMcogan-LIMongoMike_IMG_3675.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 38
  • button_self-shank_GreatSeal_WW1_backview-closeup1_Ebay1.jpg
    button_self-shank_GreatSeal_WW1_backview-closeup1_Ebay1.jpg
    203.5 KB · Views: 35
  • button_self-shank_GreatSeal_1902-1909_backview-with-ruler_Ebay1.jpg
    button_self-shank_GreatSeal_1902-1909_backview-with-ruler_Ebay1.jpg
    250.2 KB · Views: 41
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just trying to clear up some apparent confusion about button-back types and terminology...

Your find is a (hollow) 2-piece button, meaning in this case, a sheetbrass front piece whose edges are crimped over the sheet-iron back. The back has a dome at its center which is pierced straight through from side-to-side, thereby forming a "shank" for attaching the button to clothing. This is one version of what is called a self-shank back. This particular version is called a "pierced dome" self-shank back. If I recall correctly, the "pierced dome" self-shank back was US-patented in 1912 or thereabouts. There are a couple of versions of it. The earliest has a simple drilled hole through the dome. The edges of the hole are thus sharp, and would cut through the attaching thread fairly soon with daily use. So, an improved version has the hole's edges "rolled" to eliminate the sharp-edge problem. See the photos below.

By the way... no actual American Federal or State Military buttons have a self-shank back.

Hey my friend I have to admit when I open my phone and I saw that you had commented I turned it off real fast made a pot of coffee make sure I had my cigarettes and I opened the garage and let the sun in because I wanted the perfect setting when you were going to tell me this is a one of a kind button LOL
I always appreciate when you comment on my threads I take it as a real complement as well as Smokey so I thank ya?ll for taken the time educate me on many things, but you TCB I respect highly so you?re like the dad I?d like to trade mine in for.

Upvote 0

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
Detector(s) used
White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
TRIGGER-WARNING for any people here who have a pearls-clutching meltdown when they see overt Spirituality... do NOT read past this point.
Obligatory spoiler-space:
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
Truth wrote:
> I always appreciate when you comment on my threads I take it as a real complement as well as Smokey so I thank y'all for taken
> the time to educate me on many things, but you TCB I respect highly so you're like the dad I'd like to trade mine in for.

My Lord Jesus, I ask in Your name for your aid in being worthy of the level of respect that my friend Truth shows me.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread