OP
OP
TerryC

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sprailroad, Tnx for responding! I didn't mean electric engines, as in street cars. To explain what I mean I went to Google and I am quoting here.... "Diesel Locomotives use electricity to drive forward motion despite the name 'diesel'. A large diesel engine turns a shaft that drives a generator which makes electricity. This electrical energy powers large electric motors at the wheels called 'tractionmotors'." ​I have always known that electricity pulls the train but never really looked into the details. Never thought to. Tnx agn. ╦╦C

sprailroad

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2017
Grants Pass, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garrett A3B United States Gold Hunter, GTA 1000, AT Pro, Discovery Treasure Baron "Gold Trax", Minelab X-Terra 70, Safari, & EQ 800, & Nokta Marko Legend. EQ 900.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Terry, I've just learned something, "Tractionmotors". Never gave it a thought. I had been on a few work trains in the past dumping ballast, and there is a small door in the cab that leads to the nose of the engine along a narrow walkway where you can exit, and in there is where the "head" is located. somewhat small, cramped and noisy, but works. Why I added that? I don't know, just a bit of useless trivia I would guess.

OP
OP
TerryC

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Here is a little trivia that very few know. Has NOTHING to do with trains but here goes anyway..... EVERYONE that rides (rode) in the shuttle had to learn how to operate the M113 troop carrier parked at the back of the shuttle pad. Even Christa McCauluff had to. The reason being, in the event of a disaster, anyone able to get to the escape vehicle (M113) first was to start it up and take on any passengers still able to get in. It was then driven to a marked helipad about a mile and a half away from the pad. The marked pad is still there NW of pad 39A. The break-out gate no longer is there though. ╦╦C

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread