What's new

Ok....So its OK to build on a historic site but not Detect it?

NOLA_Ken

Gold Member
Joined
Jan 4, 2011
Messages
5,221
Reaction score
4,180
Golden Thread
0
Location
Formerly New Orleans.. Now Pueblo Co
Detector(s) used
several, mostly Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ok....So it's OK to build on a historic site but not Detect it?

I just found this article about a proposed housing development on the Princeton Battlefield..... I couldn't believe it so I looked a bit more, and sure enough!

Princeton Battlefield
 
If that were to happen, once they break ground their will be no stopping me either :laughing9:
 
It's the NJ way of life. Crooked political types take money from builders.
 
Demolition/scrape sites can be good places to detect. Once the tractors start, try it after work hours each day.

I just found this article about a proposed housing development on the Princeton Battlefield..... I couldn't believe it so I looked a bit more, and sure enough!

Princeton Battlefield
 
I've detected this site while working with the archaeologist. This threat comes up every few years. At one point a developer was claiming that the portion they want to develope was not actually part of the battlefield. Detectorist proved him wrong.

NJ
 
Well if part of it does open up, I'm there in a heartbeat :tongue3:

We have way too many off limit areas in NJ, just look at Batsto Village, and many other ghostowns
 
N.J.THer said:
I've detected this site while working with the archaeologist. This threat comes up every few years. At one point a developer was claiming that the portion they want to develope was not actually part of the battlefield. Detectorist proved him wrong.

NJ

What was found?
 
What was found?

Musketballs and a button. At first they thought the button was from a reenactor but I believe it turned out to be real. We also found a colonial candle stick holder but that was most likely not from the battle...;) I've only been to this site once...the group has been there a few times but I'm not sure what was found during the other hunts.

NJ
 
It amazes me that one is trying to retrieve what's there to put in the museum.
 
In this case it was more to stop the developement of the area then to put it in a museum. There was some debate on the boundaries of the battle and this helped prove that the piece of land in question did have some activity from the battle on it.

Although if you are ever in the area stop by and check out the Clarke House Museum. It is were General Mercer died after the battle...nine days after. They have a nice little museum with some great examples of period weapons and the curator is a super nice guy. He is very passionate about the site and gives great tours. In the house there is a stain on the floor where they think the General passed away and holes in the downstairs walls that they believe may have been from musketballs. Whether this is true or not who knows but it makes for an interesting story.

NJ
 
I drive by there a couple times a day. I always think of those houses that butt up to the park. How many people knocked on their doors over the years.
I have been to the museum a few times. It's a great place to visit.
 
I had dug up an old Hessian boot with a foot in it there. Buried the foot and kept the boot

Was that wrong :dontknow: :laughing7:
 
I had dug up an old Hessian boot with a foot in it there. Buried the foot and kept the boot

Was that wrong :dontknow: :laughing7:

Depends...was it a right foot or left??

Before anyone pipes in about this being wrong...were kidding. He kept the boot and the foot...no were still kidding.

NJ
 
I'm not so sure he's kidding.
 
HMMM, I wonder if this was in a cemetary? LOL
 
While I share the sentiment that most express about hitting it as soon as the earthwork starts, that typically isn't possible. The majority of large construction sites are fenced, gated and guarded all night. Most jobsite formen won't let us hunt due to liability, so we can only dream about the items being ripped out in the name of progress where archies would have us jailed for daring to hunt the day before.
 
Jason in Enid said:
While I share the sentiment that most express about hitting it as soon as the earthwork starts, that typically isn't possible. The majority of large construction sites are fenced, gated and guarded all night. Most jobsite formen won't let us hunt due to liability, so we can only dream about the items being ripped out in the name of progress where archies would have us jailed for daring to hunt the day before.

I think this is one of those places where any thing found belongs in a museum.

I don't think any construction will take place there.
 
Jason, that's why you should enroll in my ninja metal detecting class. Act now and the 1st month is $9.99, that is a 60% saving over the normal price. :icon_thumleft: Remember, if they can't see you, you don't exist :tongue3:
 
spartacus53 said:
Jason, that's why you should enroll in my ninja metal detecting class. Act now and the 1st month is $9.99, that is a 60% saving over the normal price. :icon_thumleft: Remember, if they can't see you, you don't exist :tongue3:


Man you just ain't right. LOL
 
ticm, you are probably familiar with the old expression; If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with BS. I am a master in that arena and you'd be surprised how many will bend over backwards to make you happy. :laughing7:

I will also be so bold to make the following statement. I am by far probably one of the worst at this hobby, but I guarantee I have the most fun :headbang:
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom