What's new

Ok....So its OK to build on a historic site but not Detect it?

ninja_black2.webpcan you see me
 
Per my experience of having worked in construction for most of the last decade, when construction starts they are not going to allow anyone in there who is not an employee of the contractors working. I observed over the years many people being chased off job sites by job superintendents or security. Construction site theft is horrible around here, and much of it happens in the middle of the day when people just wander onto sites and carry stuff off. After hours they will most likely have security watching the place.

Now if you are friends with someone high up with the customer or general contractor, or actually work for one for he contractors on the job, you might be able to get in. Otherwise, they will run you off due to security or safety reasons. OSHA doesn't like a lot of people wandering around construction site who aren't suppose to be there.

Hope someone can get in there and clean that ground out before its developed. Bet there are some nice relics out there!
 
There maybe a documentary filmed very soon about this exact location and the threats related to it. If so they will include the work that has been done by detectorists.

NJ
 
N.J.THer said:
There maybe a documentary filmed very soon about this exact location and the threats related to it. If so they will include the work that has been done by detectorists.

NJ


That would be something I would like to see. I am sure there will be no construction there. Well I hope not. Hey with all the hippie types who live in Princeton I bet a good protest could be organized if they tried to build there.
 
Nola you should try & hunt the old hospital /new construction - New Orleans ----- heard many cool finds being made by workers!!!!!!
 
Nola you should try & hunt the old hospital /new construction - New Orleans ----- heard many cool finds being made by workers!!!!!!

I got down there a bit early last year, now it's fenced off and the whole area is buried under at least three feet of fill. We found a few keepers there, and some nice bottles, but anything that was left is pretty much gone forever now.
 
Y,all are nuts,NOLA. Time and again you apply logic and wisdom. I,m humbled. Development happens, hard to dodge change. Don,t want to fight (o.k. maybe a little)but i would rather compromise where relics end up than lose them. Its been done before where progress overruns history,get detectorists in there to recover whats going to be lost or damaged.
 
I don't know if this site will be built on or not, but here's the skinny on this property as a construction site:

It would be hard enough to get on a normal construction site, but the job sup on this job would no doubt be briefed on the history, and all it would take to shut the job down for a long time (maybe forever) is for some metal detectorist to find something. As in no paychecks, and expensive archeological delays.

You would have no chance to get on.
 
Since you guys are so familiar about Princeton battle field I was wandering if the creek on Princeton pike is part of the park I've always wanted to stop at the bridge and detect the area but just didn't have the nuts.
 
I have gotten permission to detect at courthouses, churches, and houses on the national historic register before. I'd say you can. I haven't had any problems. Most people who work at these courthouses and churches don't even know the buildings are on the national historic register.
 
However, historic sites in national parks are off limits, as far as I know (most civil war battlefields). State parks' rules are determined by the state.
 
flyadive said:
Since you guys are so familiar about Princeton battle field I was wandering if the creek on Princeton pike is part of the park I've always wanted to stop at the bridge and detect the area but just didn't have the nuts.

You can detect there as long as no one calls the cops. LOL. Ever deal with Princeton cops. They make Barney seem sensible.
 
Per my experience of having worked in construction for most of the last decade, when construction starts they are not going to allow anyone in there who is not an employee of the contractors working. I observed over the years many people being chased off job sites by job superintendents or security. Construction site theft is horrible around here, and much of it happens in the middle of the day when people just wander onto sites and carry stuff off. After hours they will most likely have security watching the place.

Hope someone can get in there and clean that ground out before its developed. Bet there are some nice relics out there!


Jeremy, This is all covered in the third installment of my "ninja metal detecting class". A true ninja is invisible to the normal eye and yet in plain sight :tongue3: How do I manage such a feat :dontknow: It's simple mon ami, I already own a hardhat and a vest and I just roam the ground and blend in with the rest of the workers. There's only a few spots left and $9.99 for 4 classes is a steal in my book... My other book "Crime Doesn't Pay, Capice" :laughing7:
 
Is this the park on Rt 33 that you are talking about? My Mom lived in Concordia for many years and I used to drive by the park on 33 going to the Freehold Mall and a Chinese Restaurant (can't remember the name, but is on the same side of the road as the park and at the merge of 33 and business 33). Remembered the park as being really nice. Last time I was down, I noticed new a 55+ complex right near it. Haven't been back to NJ since we moved Mom up to New Hampshire in 2010.
 
AC1955 said:
Is this the park on Rt 33 that you are talking about? My Mom lived in Concordia for many years and I used to drive by the park on 33 going to the Freehold Mall and a Chinese Restaurant (can't remember the name, but is on the same side of the road as the park and at the merge of 33 and business 33). Remembered the park as being really nice. Last time I was down, I noticed new a 55+ complex right near it. Haven't been back to NJ since we moved Mom up to New Hampshire in 2010.


No this place is in Princeton. It's a historic battle field. Lots of people fought and died there.
 
Thanks for the clarification.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom