diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went to an Estate sale today. The house belonged to a woman named Teresa James. She was a W.A.S.P. (WOMEN AIRFORCE SERVICE PILOTS) back during WWII but that's not the story. The story is this "bag" of "gold dust" I found in her house. It was in an old paper bag and on the bottom of the bag someone wrote "put in glass jar". Now i've seen plenty of brass shavings when I worked next to a machune shop and these don't look like brass. For one thing they aren't as shiny and they are more settled than brass shavings usually are. My question is are those gold test kits they sell on ebay capable of testing this stuff? Do they contain nitric acid that is strong enough to dissolve something that isn't gold?

Here are some pics-

gold 1 jar.jpg
I put it in a jar myself.

gold 1 bag.jpg
Here's the bag I found it in.

gold1.jpg
some larger particles

gold1  foreign object.jpg
more particles

gold 3.jpg
and more still

gold 4.jpg
yup more

gold 2.jpg
A different view

These are all different photos as I turn the jar around in a circular motion. None of the larger particles are the same particle. What do you guys think? This little jar weighs about a pound or more.

littleneckhalfshell

Jun 21, 2005
at a pound weight, I would hope for you that it is gold, wouldn't that be a hoot. However, from the pictures, it looks like brass with a brownish patina. Gold does not tarnish, and though often of a 'soft' not bright surface, it is yellow, and should not darken or discolor with age. I have some gold in quartz and it is as yellow as the day it came out of the ground. Maybe the camera is not showing what you see in person, but to me it looks like brass with some 'age' on it. Hope I am wrong, and may it be a golden day for you. Try a file on one of the larger pieces, if you get a color change where you cut it, well it was fun while it lasted. Of course gold with a lot of copper alloyed with it, can give darken a bit due to the copper oxidizing. good luck

Upvote 0

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:read2:

They look like Brass lathe shavings to me :'( hope I'm wrong :)

SS

Upvote 0

AU Seeker

Bronze Member
Oct 14, 2007
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
E-Track, MXT, CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Take it to a Jeweler and they should be able to test it, if not take it to a better Jeweler, the first one was not a real Jeweler.

You can do a fairly simple test if you have a reasonable accurate set of scales, weight the approximate same amount of water and then weight the jar of metal, if it is brass it will weight about 8 to 9 times the weight of the water, if it is gold close to 24k it will weight around 19 times the weight of the water, if it is gold and not pure it would still weight more than brass, unless it is less than 12k, I would do the Jeweler thing if in doubt .

The specific gravity of brass is 8.3 to 8.7, the specific gravity of pure gold is 19.2, which means brass weights 8.3 to 8.7 times the weight of the same amount of water, and pure gold weights 19.2 times ,etc.

http://www.reade.com/Particle_Briefings/spec_gra.html

Good luck and let us know which it is!!

Too hard to tell from the picture.

Skip

Upvote 0

Bikerboyzx6r

May 3, 2010
Liverpool, England.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
I dont think you can get gold to shave like that and it looks way to dull!
It looks like shavings from a harder metal!

If it is Gold........ I will have a Porsche :headbang:

HH Dan :icon_thumright:

Upvote 0

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I say brass. Maybe it looks dull and more settled because of age? :dontknow:

I think its a reminder note to put into a glass jar to look like gold dust/shavings. I would definetly have it tested though.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
diggummup

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's all good I don't really think it's gold neither but one can hope can't they!
I'll take it to a jeweler and find out. icon_bricks.gif

Upvote 0

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
I have a Nitric Acid test solution, I can test it for you. If you still have my number give me a call. Im heading out to dinner soon. :icon_thumright:

I love estate and yard sales. If you need a tagalong let me know.

Upvote 0

Breezie

Gold Member
Oct 3, 2009
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & Spectrum~Garrett's Pro-Pointer~VibraProbe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Open the jar and smell it. Brass has a very distinct odor, and gold has no odor. Also, if you handle the shavings, the odor will get on your fingers, and it will take soap/water to remove it. Let us know after you sniff. ;D Breezie

Upvote 0

Gonehunting

Bronze Member
Jan 1, 2007
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CURRENTLY USING: Minelab Go-Find 60, Nokta Fors CoRe, Macro Racer, Whites MXT All Pro, Fisher F19, Garrett AT Gold, Minelab CTX3030, XP Deus.
USED: Garrett ATX, Garrett AT Pro, Minelab E-Trac, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
looks like brass (gun) polishing material. like you put in a tumbler.... ???

Upvote 0

waterfalljay

Jul 23, 2006
Western NC Mtns
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark, Minelab Safari, Explorer SE Pro, & Excallibur II
Breezie said:
Open the jar and smell it. Brass has a very distinct odor, and gold has no odor. Also, if you handle the shavings, the odor will get on your fingers, and it will take soap/water to remove it. Let us know after you sniff. ;D Breezie
And then you can change the title of this thread to "Sniff My Brass!" :sunny:

Upvote 0

Breezie

Gold Member
Oct 3, 2009
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & Spectrum~Garrett's Pro-Pointer~VibraProbe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
waterfalljay said:
Breezie said:
And then you can change the title of this thread to "Sniff My Brass!" :sunny:

LOL too funny!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
diggummup

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't smell anything. I got a little time off tommorrow, gonna go to a jeweler I know. It's good to have dreams I guess. LOL :laughing9:

Upvote 0

lennon631

May 3, 2010
Long Island NY
Detector(s) used
Whites M6, Garrett ProPointer
It looks like something I smoked back in 69', no, wait, not MEEEEEEE, I mean a friend of a cousin's next door neighbor, that's what I meant to say....

Upvote 0

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
lennon631 said:
It looks like something I smoked back in 69', no, wait, not MEEEEEEE, I mean a friend of a cousin's next door neighbor, that's what I meant to say....
I thought you might say you didnt inhale.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread