Old abandoned school site in the woods gives up more oldies!!!

treasurefiend

Gold Member
Mar 17, 2008
Chicago IL
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Excal_II Minelab_Explorer_SE_Pro w/ SunRay pinpointer & Garrett_Ace250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On Friday morning I had a friend from out of town (from Florida) and also a MD'er but has never hunted the woods so I took him out to the old abandoned school site in the woods that was a school from the 1880's - 1930's. Well I started finding targets right off the bat but he was having trouble as I said he never hunted in the woods. Well after a 3 hour hunt he managed to find a modern game token but I found all kinds of goodies. The coolest one by far is the old Pontiac token. At first I though it said "Chief of the 60's" but it is actually "sixes". All of my finds with the exception of the pistol was down 4-6 inches and the pistol was just under the surface like 2 inches on top of a big tree root. Thanks for lookin and happy hunting. :thumbsup:

I looked up "Pontiac Chief of the Sixes" and I found this on the Barrett Jacksons cars page:
The Oakland Motor Car Company, a division of GM, introduced a companion car in 1926 - the Pontiac. It was called "Chief of the Sixes" and named after a legendary Native American warrior, leader and orator.

So cool my token is from at least 1926, by far my oldest token!!!!

Attachments

• 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    58.4 KB · Views: 1,054
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    71.5 KB · Views: 1,073
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    79.5 KB · Views: 1,045
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    69.9 KB · Views: 1,057
  • 5.JPG
    5.JPG
    47.7 KB · Views: 1,059
  • 6.JPG
    6.JPG
    75.2 KB · Views: 1,059
  • 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    58.4 KB · Views: 1,044
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    71.5 KB · Views: 1,054
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    79.5 KB · Views: 1,057
  • 4.JPG
    4.JPG
    69.9 KB · Views: 1,069
  • 5.JPG
    5.JPG
    47.7 KB · Views: 1,043
  • 6.JPG
    6.JPG
    75.2 KB · Views: 1,054
Upvote 0
Great finds! That token is very cool! Someone else here posted something quite a while back with that Pontiac, Chief of the Sixes" motto on it, but I don't recall off the top of my head what it was.

Anyway.... congrats on the goodies!

You were right the first time; Pontiac was chief of the sixties! My first car was a '69 Pontiac and there were some great Pontiacs earlier (GTO for example). Great finds!

Great finds, nothing better than hunting old one room school houses. I hunt them all the time and go back and hit them again and again. The ones we have around me are mostly in open fields. Most guys don't even bother looking for them, but they are a treasure in themselves.

HH<Ringfinder

Another great hunt T.F :icon_thumright: :icon_thumleft:

Hey fiend nice stuff there!!!! love that token,,it must mean king of the six cylinders???,, watch out for that gun ,,,ya might put an eye out!!!! :laughing9:

cool!!!

arthur

Sounds like a great hunt with good results. Love both the token and cap gun. It's always a good day to have your Wheaties too. ;D

..............I really liked your dug toy pistol the best................reminds me of the days of Gene Autry........Roy Rogers............the Lone Ranger .......etc..............too bad that most of those toy guns were made out of pot metal............so the ground acids really seem to mess them up..........I saw a Nice Looking Roy Rogers pistol and holster that was found hidden inside an old house in a secret type place in the cabinets...............that is about the only way to find one in decent shape or buy one off ebay that has never been in the dirt..........................HH............Joe

Really nice token,I like hiking in the woods looking for old foundations,I take my son whith me its good for the mind and body.

Excellent digs!

HH

Great finds! :thumbsup: I have not had any luck hunting old school houses around here. I found one in the woods. The pump had been dug up and was still laying there with a 20' pipe attached. The building was long gone, but there was still a fence marking the property of the schoolhouse. I went twice, once with my Ace 250, and once with my E-Trac, and came away empty handed both times. I can't imagine it would have been hunted too heavily, but maybe it was. The pit from the outhouse had been dug up at some point, so maybe they detected the area, too.

HH,

Dr. Ace

Great bunch of keepers there, TF! :icon_thumright: Awesome hunting!

Nana :)

Does that Cap gun say hubley on the other side?
http://www.nicholscapguns.com/hubley4.htm
Scroll about 13rd of the way down.

Here is an example of a Hubley gun that was made for Daisy. As we have said, Daisy had many companies make guns for them. This one, however, is a little unusual in that it doesn't have the Daisy name anywhere on it. What Daisy did was to use these guns for their holster sets around 1960.

It does, however, have the Hubley name on it and the style, "Rodeo" on one side of the frame

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back