mamabear

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2008
SE Missouri
Detector(s) used
garage sale oldie
Primary Interest:
Other
so sad your father isn't around to explore this site with you. it is really beautiful. are you afraid to take it to an "official" for IDing?

gus

Oct 15, 2004
Do you mean the Rhone??? if so there is lots of information on that wreck.

deepsix47

Jul 26, 2006
Detector(s) used
Fisher Impulse, Fisher CZ-21, Minelab X-Terra 70
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi:

I think you might be referring to the RMS Rhone off Salt Island in the BVI's. This piece is a beauty. A goblet like this was common in that time period and could easily have graced the captains table. Is the stem intact??

The wreck is in remarkable shape and well worth diving but bringing up artifacts (and there are hundreds of them laying around) is a definite no-no from it. It was used as a backdrop also for the movie "The Deep".

I am assuming that your father and his crew were working under legal contract if they hauled up a cannon nearby and this was part of his division. If so, there should be some paperwork about somewhere. Find that to give you your provenance and this suddenly becomes a very valuable piece. Regardless, it's a beautiful piece and addition to any family heirloom collection.

Again, a very nice piece,

Deepsix

Icarian

Jun 9, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My Great-great grandfather LaBrunerie, an Icarian sailed to America on the Rome...

This goblet was found about 500 yards off the wreck of the "Rome" in the British Virgin Islands. It was found under a canon that was pulled up by my father and his guys. My dad never told us anything about it and now he is gone. Any ideas or info about the "Rome"

What do you know about the shipwreck? This great-great grandfather was joined with Utopians who were called Icarians and eventually settled in Nauvoo Illinois after the Mormons were driven out; in 1848 he landed on the 'Rome' in New Orleans and spent perhaps years there waiting for his ride up the Mississippi to found the utopian community of French communists. Tonight I was looking for long-stemmed brass goblets hopefully to use as wine glasses, and thought this was very coincidental.

Icarian

Jun 9, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One more thing, by the way, I am so interested in this goblet that I would be interested in knowing the whole story and owning this same goblet. [I am awestruck by this very coincidence]. They were led by a French philosopher named Etienne Cabet and first planned to settle on pre-purchased lands in Texas but they found they were sold a bad lot and many died of malaria. Later their community lasted at Nauvoo, and Corning Iowa, as well as one in California, I believe. Yet, the 'Rome' was the name of their ship and I want to know what else it was carrying and exactly where did it sink? Myself or my family would love to buy this if you wish to sell it, too.

Icarian

Jun 9, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The 'Rome' departed out of Le Havre, France, landing in New Orleans in the spring of 1848.

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Icarian, Mel245 is no longer with us. He can't see your post. This thread is 4 years old and the last time Mel245 posted was July 2009.

Mud Skipper

Jun 12, 2013
Toronto
Detector(s) used
Sea Hunter
Detector Pro
Pulse 8X
Aquapulse 1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
and he refers to the Royal Mail Packet ship the Rhone the cannon is at Saba Rock recovered by Bert Kilbride the other cannon still on sea bed, a National Park no removal of artificats you have yours ships mixed up, this aint no Rome.

islandgirl31

Jul 31, 2015
Jupiter,fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Icarian this is mel245 my new name is Islandgirl31., n yes I still have goblet. I still believe it was brought up off rhone

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Good bet he is in the state penn for the next 20 years.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread