What's new

Old button... Can anyone make out whats on it?

Ace 350

Sr. Member
Joined
Apr 8, 2013
Messages
260
Reaction score
421
Golden Thread
0
Location
Knoxville, TN
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600 and XP ORX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
image.webpimage.webp
Found in jackson,TN. It kind of looks like an eagle but i cant tell.
 
Upvote 2
I can't really see much from that picture, but my guess is it is going to be a early navy button. Can you take a clearer closer picture?
 
That's the best picture I can take. How early are you thinking.
 
Early 1800's, Im really just judging by the back because I can only see what looks like possible stars around the face of the button.
 
Looks like iron back on that one. Possibly a Navy kepi button.
 
Last edited:
Try heating hydrogen peroxide in a microwave & then dropping the button in it. Let it sit for an hour or so & repeat until the gunk comes off.
 
Looks like iron back on that one. Possibly a Navy kepi button.


I don't think its an Iron back (I could be wrong though) I think its just has a lot of crusties on them.
 
I don't think its an Iron back (I could be wrong though) I think its just has a lot of crusties on them.
I found a small iron backed navy button a year or so ago. i didn't think the navy used iron backs on their buttons, but some experts on the American Military Buttons 1775-1865 Facebook Group identified it as a navy kepi button. Again, like you say it could be a brass back covered with crust, but it looks like a two piece button to me.
 
I found a small iron backed navy button a year or so ago. i didn't think the navy used iron backs on their buttons, but some experts on the American Military Buttons 1775-1865 Facebook Group identified it as a navy kepi button. Again, like you say it could be a brass back covered with crust, but it looks like a two piece button to me.

Two piece? Don't tell me that haha, I see a one piece convex button! I'm starting to question my eyes now ???
 
Two piece? Don't tell me that haha, I see a one piece convex button! I'm starting to question my eyes now ???
Well.... I see a convex two piece with either the back missing and full of dirt, or a two piece with a rusty iron back. I can definitely see the rim where the front was crimped over the back.

attachment.php
 
Hey y'all. The button is concave. It's a two piece button I assume. It's missing the back part of the button. Also thanks for the replies and info...
 
Thanks! I'm going back to the field that I found it in maybe today or tomorrow.
 
Yep,, there is probably some more old stuff out there waiting to be found.
Congrats on the button.
 
I see the eagle on the face and from what I can tell from the shape and the missing back is it is a civilian fashion button.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom