Old button - military buffs help me out please!

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other

Attachments

• image-942229343.jpg
    image-942229343.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 182
  • image-2924480366.jpg
    image-2924480366.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 155
  • image-1627858560.jpg
    image-1627858560.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 158
Upvote 1

1stColonialRegiment

Mar 1, 2014
New England
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think it may be off a vest. However, I don't think it's 'military issue', but as you said it was from a military site, so it's probably still from a soldier. Great find man!

OP
OP
Scrappy

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Me too. I'd hate to think everyone is stumped.

Sent from my iPhone using TreasureNet

OP
OP
Scrappy

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I think it may be off a vest. However, I don't think it's 'military issue', but as you said it was from a military site, so it's probably still from a soldier. Great find man!
Thanks for the help, you insight has given me find a place to start digging, no pun intended Sent from my iPhone using TreasureNet

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not stumped. I just don't see a design on it. therefore it is civilian.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well you just got something that isn't military. Civvy 19th C. This is why you should never second guess the evidence, just ID it FIRST, then conclude. I see it too many times on here, people falling into the same trap, but its normally the CW Sites that people have the wishful thinking. Sorry, but it a good lesson for all.

1stColonialRegiment

Mar 1, 2014
New England
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes but if it's a MILITARY site it could still have belonged to a soldier. It's the PROVENANCE that matters. Especially in the early years of the military, soldiers wore whatever they had during the winter months. The continental army sure as heck couldn't afford full uniforms and winter gear for all the soldiers!

OP
OP
Scrappy

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Well hell, I'll just pretend it's off of some 19th Century NYC hooker's dress. Rubbers? What rubbers?

Thanks all!

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes but if it's a MILITARY site it could still have belonged to a soldier. It's the PROVENANCE that matters. Especially in the early years of the military, soldiers wore whatever they had during the winter months. The continental army sure as heck couldn't afford full uniforms and winter gear for all the soldiers!

That statement is then true of every object we find on a military site.:icon_scratch: Also means all those beer cans I get from Roman Sites are Roman as well.

1stColonialRegiment

Mar 1, 2014
New England
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That statement is then true of every object we find on a military site.:icon_scratch: Also means all those beer cans I get from Roman Sites are Roman as well.

Sure pal. However there's more reasoning and thinking involved. Every artifact excavated from a site can tell a story. If it's a 19th relic and there was 19th century military occupation, I would think there is some sort of connection. Wouldn't you? It seems to mean all you care about is proving this gentlemen wrong with your blunt and what I consider rude statement. Then again, your last comment is trying to prove me wrong with a very extreme statement about beer cans being roman??? Pretty funny, but not a good argument. Next time someone asks for an id, a more reasonable and friendly answer you could have given is "nice find. In my opinion it's not a military item, but if it's a military site there could be some sort of connection."

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very Cool/diff design on that button.

Also Come on guys , No "Type off "
Besides Cru, is from England ,So he may come across diff, than he meant to.

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sure pal. However there's more reasoning and thinking involved. Every artifact excavated from a site can tell a story. If it's a 19th relic and there was 19th century military occupation, I would think there is some sort of connection. Wouldn't you? It seems to mean all you care about is proving this gentlemen wrong with your blunt and what I consider rude statement. Then again, your last comment is trying to prove me wrong with a very extreme statement about beer cans being roman??? Pretty funny, but not a good argument. Next time someone asks for an id, a more reasonable and friendly answer you could have given is "nice find. In my opinion it's not a military item, but if it's a military site there could be some sort of connection."
I can kind of see where you're going here but the truth is we'd be doing people a disservice if our responses were just meant to make someone feel good about their find but were less than accurate/truthful about our opinion of the item found. Reminds me of that show Diggers where everything they pull out of the ground is related to what their searching for. ( "Oh... that's billy the kid's belt buckle, or Billy the kid's lighter" ) Nobody is trying to be less than nice about the finds when they post responses, they're just trying to be as accurate and informative as possible with their ID's. There are many very knowledgeable members on this site who's opinions and ID's I respect and appreciate and Buckleboy and Crusader definitely fall into that category. All that aside I just wanted to comment on the OP's find. Pretty cool button but I can't speculate about it because i'm no expert. Congrats to you and keep hitting that site. Sounds like a good one.

Last edited:

1stColonialRegiment

Mar 1, 2014
New England
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can kind of see where you're going here but the truth is we'd be doing people a disservice if our responses were just meant to make someone feel good about their find but were less than accurate/truthful about our opinion of the item found. Reminds me of that show Diggers where everything they pull out of the ground is related to what their searching for. ( "Oh... that's billy the kid's belt buckle, or Billy the kid's lighter" ) Nobody is trying to be less than nice about the finds when they post responses, they're just trying to be as accurate and informative as possible with their ID's. There are many very knowledgeable members on this site who's opinions and ID's I respect and appreciate and Buckleboy and Crusader definitely fall into that category. All that aside I just wanted to comment on the OP's find. Pretty cool button but I can't speculate about it because i'm no expert. Congrats to you and keep hitting that site. Sounds like a good one.

All I am saying is my ID was the exact same as the "experts" and 100 times as polite. One line that says 'that is 100% not military' is neither informative nor helpful.

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think some people are just shorter and more blunt and it can come across as rude. I always try to be encouraging and maybe overly nice because I don't want people to be timid about posting. I have nothing but respect for most on here and Cru has been helpful to many. I believe his desire would be for people to spend more timing learning about history and identifications for themselves and not becoming reliant on other members for all info on items. I will be the first to admit that even with all of my researching and reading reference material there's a hell of a lot that I still don't know. I have learned a ton from some of the more experienced members and through trying to learn for myself. Don't ever feel bad about not being able to id something. It takes years and years and you'll still find items that will leave you with more questions than answers. I just found a Dandy button that seems to have everybody a bit stumped. Stick with it and keep digging. Learn all that you can yourself and ask the knowledgeable members lots of questions. Most are very willing to assist and they expect us to remember what they said so we know the next time. 1st I appreciate your friendly replies and I've come to realize that some are just short and to the point which I can also appreciate. Don't be offended by it, we are all different and come across in different ways. Just concentrate on digging great items and the rest will take care of itself my friend. All the best, Abe

Last edited:

1stColonialRegiment

Mar 1, 2014
New England
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think some people are just shorter and more blunt and it can come across as rude. I always try to be encouraging and maybe overly nice because I don't want people to be timid about posting. I have nothing but respect for most on here and Cru has been helpful to many. I believe his desire would be for people to spend more timing learning about history and identifications for themselves and not becoming reliant on other members for all info on items. I will be the first to admit that even with all of my researching and reading reference material there's a hell of a lot that I still don't know. I have learned a ton from some of the more experienced members and through trying to learn for myself. Don't ever feel bad about not being able to id something. It takes years and years and you'll still find items that will leave you with more questions than answers. I just found a Dandy button that seems to have everybody a bit stumped. Stick with it and keep digging. Learn all that you can yourself and ask the knowledgeable members lots of questions. Most are very willing to assist and they expect us to remember what they said so we know the next time. 1st I appreciate your friendly replies and I've come to realize that some are just short and to the point which I can also appreciate. Don't be offended by it, we are all different and come across in different ways. Just concentrate on digging great items and the rest will take care of itself my friend. All the best, Abe

Well put friend, well put.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All I am saying is my ID was the exact same as the "experts" and 100 times as polite. One line that says 'that is 100% not military' is neither informative nor helpful.

Not sure who the expert was, but it wasn't me. Your ID is not the same as mine because you are speculating about 'who' used it, without any proof. A site being military is NOT proof, that is why I made my point, so others don't 'assume' the same again. This button was never issued or commissioned as a Military button, & if a military person used it, its still not military. But as you say 'might' be associated with the miltary, thats all.

If I come across as blunt or rude that is never my intention, only my poor writing skills.

OP
OP
Scrappy

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Not sure who the expert was, but it wasn't me. Your ID is not the same as mine because you are speculating about 'who' used it, without any proof. A site being military is NOT proof, that is why I made my point, so others don't 'assume' the same again. This button was never issued or commissioned as a Military button, & if a military person used it, its still not military. But as you say 'might' be associated with the miltary, thats all. If I come across as blunt or rude that is never my intention, only my poor writing skills.
A little button ID whether short or long didn't hurt my feelings nor did I think it were rude. Everyone was helpful.

But alas, Ill never know, so I'm just telling my friends it came from some sexy dame servicing one of our 'boys'.

Dug

Bronze Member
Feb 18, 2013
SC Lowcountry
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Sovereign GT.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
A little button ID whether short or long didn't hurt my feelings nor did I think it were rude. Everyone was helpful.

But alas, Ill never know, so I'm just telling my friends it came from some sexy dame servicing one of our 'boys'.

I knew all along this button was off a camp follower, but got caught up in the thread and forgot to post. :laughing7:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread