🔎 UNIDENTIFIED old button?

Bronze Member
May 26, 2011
tujunga ca
Detector(s) used
xlt mxt gmz and now a gmt whites
found this in a 1930s park near Los Angeles. about 1 inch dia.rang up with a 75 penny dime. it looks
Resized_20240115_145811.jpeg
Resized_20240115_145755.jpeg
like lead.but i dont think it is.

Pumpkin

Greenie
Nov 12, 2023
this is the best i can do with my phone, the shank sure looks like top left. View attachment 2126432 View attachment 2126433
Really tough to tell from the photos. The face photo looks right for brass/bronze and looks quite old to me, while the rear photo looks to have corroded like pot metal (zinc, tin) does, in big chunks and voids around the edges. The bronzy color on the rear “damage” isn’t right for pot metal though, which corrodes white. Could be physical damage to brass, plus dirt, causing a resemblance to chemical damage (corrosion) to white metal. Just tough to say, not being familiar with your soil characteristics, and with the fuzzy pics. Lightness points to pot metal.. but that’s subjective. You could use a knife and/or plumbing torch to remove and test a bit on a damaged edge, reduce it to its native color by shaving or melting.

Upvote 0
OP
OP

Bronze Member
May 26, 2011
tujunga ca
Detector(s) used
xlt mxt gmz and now a gmt whites
Really tough to tell from the photos. The face photo looks right for brass/bronze and looks quite old to me, while the rear photo looks to have corroded like pot metal (zinc, tin) does, in big chunks and voids around the edges. The bronzy color on the rear “damage” isn’t right for pot metal though, which corrodes white. Could be physical damage to brass, plus dirt, causing a resemblance to chemical damage (corrosion) to white metal. Just tough to say, not being familiar with your soil characteristics, and with the fuzzy pics. Lightness points to pot metal.. but that’s subjective. You could use a knife and/or plumbing torch to remove and test a bit on a damaged edge, reduce it to its native color by shaving or melting.
check out post # 12

Upvote 1

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congrat's on the Save of a nice, old button.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread