old cemetary found 1840 s

imafishingnutt

Bronze Member
Sep 30, 2007
Superior Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT, Tesoro, Whites DFX, Nokta Impact Pro, Ace 400.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
we found an old cemetary yesterday in the ghost town of elk city.
head stones read stuff like born 1792 died 1845
many of the head stones are leaning and some have even fell over.
and some cant even be read anymore.
word is this was a wagon rd next to it wich makes sense since in 1845 im sure the dead were brought up the mountain by wagon. i think the latest date i found thier was died 1924
many of the dates are died 1850s or so. this would make this erea worth do more research and see if thier is any of the relitives still around.
I bet people have family in thier and dont even know it.
im going to copy names and see what i can come up with.
its all over grown with brush and stuff and it looks like maby 70 or so are buried thier
whats neat about it is one of the locals told us that thier was buildings around it at one time.
its located up on a hill and was deep in the timbers,
unfortunatly the logged all around it and the slash burned and now it looks like a patch of timber forgotten from down the mountain.
this was a way cool place to see. Kinda creepy too. since many of the head stones are misplaced and gone i was walking through trying to read head stones when the ground kinda sunk under my feet
i said excuse me though...lol
just for note we did detect around it but not in it that wouldnt be right in my book and would give us all a bad name.
still a nice place to visit though.
Rick

Upvote 0
OMG...that is too cool! I love cemeteries...esp very old ones.

Make sure you take your camera and capture a pic of all the headstones you can and of the area.

I do cemetery research here and take photos of "mom&pop" cemeteries as well as the more well-defined ones (upkept cemeteries)...for history sake. Someday, they may not be there and I want it recorded for future generations (esp those researching their roots!).

Lots of history up there by that cemetery...capture it all!!

HH,
Annmarie

Nice post. Definately get us some pictures!

Hey,

I think in NY they are doing a Cemetery Reconstruction thing. Where you can report an abandon over grown Cemetery and they send out a crew to clean it up. They go out and cut down the weeds and overgrown brush and stuff. I have no idea where i heard this or if its really true. You should check it out for your state and that Cemetery. To see if they do it too.

Keep @ it and HH!!

You might want to see if the county has a historical or genealogical society, and check with them to see if the headstones at the cemetery have been recorded. In my county they send a group of volunteers out to old cemeteries to copy all the gravestone inscriptions. They can then be put online for people to use in researching their family.

Ron and Ann said:
OMG...that is too cool! I love cemeteries...esp very old ones.

Make sure you take your camera and capture a pic of all the headstones you can and of the area.

I do cemetery research here and take photos of "mom&pop" cemeteries as well as the more well-defined ones (upkept cemeteries)...for history sake. Someday, they may not be there and I want it recorded for future generations (esp those researching their roots!).

Lots of history up there by that cemetery...capture it all!!

HH,
Annmarie
I think it is recorded some one put up a sign thier with a bunch of names on it in 1997
but im going to research some more and ill get some pics tommarow

I wish I was there. I would love to see that.
You will have to post plenty of photo's-ok?
Joe

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back