tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm only guessing by the odd shapes and from the region they claim to be from and that had me Google search "Mississippian pottery fragments". I can't say that's what you have, but they do have some similarities.

Upvote 0

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice collection hard to tell being broken I see one that looks like a jug or bowl handle. Hope you can get some more info on them

Upvote 0

smallfoot

Bronze Member
May 29, 2019
Flawda
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice! Some pretty intricate designs on some of those. I have lots of pottery pieces from Florida and some are decorated too. Don't see much interest or maybe not much being found by hunters for some reason. Thanks for posting!

Upvote 0

invent4hir

Bronze Member
Aug 1, 2017
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i & DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you don't get an ID on TNet, send the pictures to either the Ohio History Connection, Cincinnati Museum Center, or the the Dayton Society of Natural History. They should be able to ID. Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, they are only minimally staffed right now, so be patient.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
oldbattleaxe

oldbattleaxe

May 26, 2010
Can material that these were made from be tested to determine what part of the country they could be from? I have been in contact with the widow that had some of her husbands collection to me. She messaged me and has more items that she will sell me. She said a while back he loved to hunt for meteorites and other relics. He hunted mostly in Ohio, but he and a friend had hunted in different areas of New Mexico, Arizona, Texas, and Florida. They had followed construction sites to get their relics. She said she has some suspected meteorites that are marked as such, but is not sure if that is what they are? If I get lucky enough to but them, I will post them on the forum. In the mean time, I need to get some good information on this stuff. Some or all look like maybe they are made of sandstone and a couple pieces are of clay. Thanks for looking at these.

Upvote 0

GoldieLocks

Bronze Member
Dec 28, 2019
Nevada
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have you looked up the history and locan natives in that particular area? I thought the Mississippi culture never went up that far North. You might call the Florida History Museum, they are open again and should be able to give more clues.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
oldbattleaxe

oldbattleaxe

May 26, 2010
It is very possible that these items didn't come from Ohio. I know the arrowheads and some of the tools did. Her husband had gotten around. Too bad he didn's keep track of his findiings. The alligator/crockodile looking ones could tell us something.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread