✅ SOLVED Old Coin or Junk?

pteri3

Aug 11, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello,

Newbie here, I was wondering if anyone had any opinions or advice on this object. It was found in the sand by the beach in Sargent, TX. My dad thinks he sees a faint cross on it and thinks it could be an old Spanish coin. I can't really tell. It is very worn and corroded but it does look like there was some kind of pattern on it at some point. It is an odd shape but I'm not sure that rules anything out. I'm not sure how to tell if it is silver or any other tips for identifying it other than it is not magnetic. If it is a coin, I don't want to mess it up with amateur cleaning attempts. Not sure how else to see if there is any more detail on it. It probably isn't worth anything either way but I would like to keep it in "good" condition if it is an interesting find. Any advice is appreciated.

I have a couple of photos from my scanner and a couple taken with a camera and a ruler.

20200810-coin1.jpg 20200810-coin2.jpg 20200810-DSC_0282.jpg 20200810-DSC_0284.jpg

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
Lots of things get melted in campfires and left behind and that is what it looks like to me.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
P

pteri3

Aug 11, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Everyone! I think ya'll must be right. I went ahead and did a streak test on this and a silver ring and it left a much darker streak. I think it is probably lead.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread