What's new

🔎 UNIDENTIFIED OLD COIN?

tcornel

Sr. Member
Joined
Aug 11, 2011
Messages
462
Reaction score
706
Golden Thread
0
Location
NE Ohio
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, 17" & 6" coils, Equinox 800, Propointer AT, Stealth 920i, Lesche Sampson and digger.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This was found at a circa 1800 house in western pa. It is bigger than a quarter but smaller than a us large cent. It is in really bad shape but it looks like a ram on one side. There might be a date ?2?7 below the image. Or just corrosion.
Any help would be appreciated.
 

Attachments

  • ram coin.webp
    ram coin.webp
    93.6 KB · Views: 145
  • ram coin back.webp
    ram coin back.webp
    89.5 KB · Views: 118
  • ram coin front.webp
    ram coin front.webp
    182.3 KB · Views: 115
Wow! I thought it looked like a court jester’s headgear. Good luck on the ID
 
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Canadian half penny bank token?
 
Upvote 0
Canadian half penny bank token?
I don't think so. I have a few Canadian half penny tokens both North and South and they don't match up. Thanks for the input.
 
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
I don't think so. I have a few Canadian half penny tokens both North and South and they don't match up. Thanks for the input.
Can you give me an example of a north/south Half Penny Token please.
 
Upvote 0
I don't think so. I have a few Canadian half penny tokens both North and South and they don't match up. Thanks for the input.
I think the right terminology for these tokens would be Upper Canada or Lower Canada (The provinces)

Bigger than a quarter 24.26mm
Smaller than a US LC 28.57mm

There are lots of

½ Penny Regal Imitation - George III left variations.​

size range from 26.5mm-27.6mm
1
The strike on the reverse was weak to begin with so with wear and environmental effects can give you an image as your recovery.

Screen Shot 2023-11-28 at 6.57.29 AM.webp

Screen Shot 2023-11-28 at 7.01.30 AM.webp

 
Upvote 1
I wanted to see the same, thanks!
I misquoted as should have been upper or lower. Here are a couple images from the web. My collection is at my winter home and I don't have access to them for my pictures.
 

Attachments

  • lower back.webp
    lower back.webp
    235.2 KB · Views: 64
  • Lower front.webp
    Lower front.webp
    254.1 KB · Views: 43
  • Upper back.webp
    Upper back.webp
    288.6 KB · Views: 54
  • Upper front.webp
    Upper front.webp
    299.4 KB · Views: 63
Upvote 1
I misquoted as should have been upper or lower. Here are a couple images from the web. My collection is at my winter home and I don't have access to them for my pictures.
That's what I figured-It's all good.
The Bank Tokens are a thick token compared to other coinage that was floating around.
It certainly could be an imitation/Blacksmith token as there was so many different ones.
 
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom