What's new

Old cutting board age and wood help

jtw1313

Silver Member
Joined
Feb 5, 2013
Messages
3,728
Reaction score
2,099
Golden Thread
0
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If anyone can help with type of wood and age to this it is appreciated. It looks to me this has some significant age to it. Thanks for the comments and replies as always
 

Attachments

  • 81FDA037-9124-4A80-8239-FDE808E24E21.webp
    81FDA037-9124-4A80-8239-FDE808E24E21.webp
    211.9 KB · Views: 71
  • 49E73D4F-A00E-4D55-BD70-C924CB0F5194.webp
    49E73D4F-A00E-4D55-BD70-C924CB0F5194.webp
    227.8 KB · Views: 68
  • C2FFFD3C-91D5-4E9D-8B87-EAF9B0D23ACB.webp
    C2FFFD3C-91D5-4E9D-8B87-EAF9B0D23ACB.webp
    174.2 KB · Views: 58
  • 026E404E-665C-424F-8E84-AAACFDA9F03D.webp
    026E404E-665C-424F-8E84-AAACFDA9F03D.webp
    135.4 KB · Views: 53
I thought the same thing at first as well but I believe to many knife cuts.....both sides
 
Last edited:
Upvote 0
Mounting holes not there either just one for hanging and no other signs of attachment
 
Upvote 0
And I have kids that one little hole for mounting isn’t going to last as old as this thing looks lol
 
Last edited:
Upvote 0
Everyone who replied pretty much covered what I was thinking! Good luck finding out about it.
 
Upvote 0
I wouldn't understand why a cutting board would have a countersunk screw hole, So I don't believe it is a cutting board and I believe it is oak of some type.It doesn't look oiled looks stained and a cutting board would be oiled.
 
Upvote 0
Thanks guys it has a waxy greasy feel to it
 
Upvote 0
I agree (desk).
Why else would it have a countersunk screw hole?

Although unless it was a folding desk (and even then?), I do wonder why there are not more attachment points visible.
 
Upvote 0
Would it be countersunk on both sides???
 
Upvote 0
Mounting holes not there either just one for hanging and no other signs of attachment

I agree since it would need more mounting holes to stabilize it. It's fairly wide but countersunk holes on both sides make me think more modern (early 1900's?) since we have a family one ca. 1800 with an untapered hole. Ours is from Maine and very utilitarian. I'm thinking the countersunk holes on both sides was to reduce chaffing if someone decided to hang it up with string.

I'm thinking this is probably a breadboard.
I don't see the type of grain to make me think oak.
Generally, these are made of maple, which is denser and holds up better. Maple has a pretty tight grain that is not spread out. But I see some wider grain on the bottom right of image #1 that makes me think this is pine. Maybe maple if it's fairly heavy or pine if lighter?
 
Last edited:
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom