cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last saturday I spotted a big bin full of old junky silver plated serving trays. I dug through it for a few minutes and spotted something that caught my eye. It was tarnished dark but did not have a silver mark. I guess thay was why it got tossed in the bin. I took a gamble and held it up for pricing, 50¢ SOLD!
It is about 7" across and weighs just under 6 ounces. 90% silver.

I submitted these pics to the Online Encyclopedia of Silver Marks, Hallmarks & Makers' Marks forum to help with the ID. Still need to know where it was made (icon on left) and what year (icon on right)

Attachments

• 747024610_o.jpg
    747024610_o.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 353
  • 747024613_o.jpg
    747024613_o.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 329
  • 747024617_o.jpg
    747024617_o.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 384
  • 747024620_o.jpg
    747024620_o.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 117

MRBeyer

Apr 25, 2007
Moses Lake, WA
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster and MXT, sluice
Dang Dan, just to have the knowledge of that bit of obscure information just blows my mind. congrats.

OP
OP
cyberdan

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dang Dan, just to have the knowledge of that bit of obscure information just blows my mind. congrats.
that little bit of info cost me an hour of research. All I knew when i bought it was that it had a hallmark the size of a fat ant and it just had that "look"

Rodbuster209

Oct 26, 2010
Northern California
Detector(s) used
MineLab SE, Excaliber 1000, Sovereign, White's SpectrumXLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gotta love it when you make a super score on the precious metals!

acevillav

May 5, 2005
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Outstanding find ! I'll be sure to do some extra digging at the sales today. HH

insontis

Aug 27, 2013
Blue Springs, MO
Detector(s) used
Garret AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fantastic find! Awesome design - should carry a premium over spot.. would make a fantastic display piece.

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice cyber score!!!
I found a rectangular tray kind of like what you found that's now in my collection. I didn't do as well on the price as you, I had to give a whole $3.95 plus tax at the TS for it. I was sure it was silver when I found it and sat and studied it for a bit and then I saw the marks with in the hand chased design. Mine is 144 grams. It tested as silver, but never had a full certainty of the purity, so I just figured it's around 80%. Keep looking you may just score an other piece like that. They give little clue that they are pure silver. I've seen huge plates of those middle eastern silver pieces on ebay. The work is all hand done.

Attachments

• silver tray.jpg
    silver tray.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 120
Last edited:
OP
OP
cyberdan

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice cyber score!!!
I found a rectangular tray kind of like what you found that's now in my collection. I didn't do as well on the price as you, I had to give a whole $3.95 plus tax at the TS for it. I was sure it was silver when I found it and sat and studied it for a bit and then I saw the marks with in the hand chased design. Mine is 144 grams. It tested as silver, but never had a full certainty of the purity, so I just figured it's around 80%. Keep looking you may just score an other piece like that. They give little clue that they are pure silver. I've seen huge plates of those middle eastern silver pieces on ebay. The work is all hand done.

Still a great find. I never would have thought to look in the pattern for for the hallmark.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions