What's new

Old farm had several large cents

SilverCoinHound

Full Member
Joined
Oct 16, 2024
Messages
191
Reaction score
1,643
Golden Thread
0
Farm dates to 1800. We only found large cents, 6 total and not much of anything else.
IMG_0894.webp
IMG_0896.webp
IMG_0897.webp
IMG_0898.webp
 
Upvote 31
Is this New England or NY....long ago on another detector forum, a guy from New Hampshire I think, always posted for encouragement, "there is always a large copper in any farm field".
I can't get out anymore but I miss the woods and corn fields. Didn't matter if it was just a button or whatever. Nice pics!
 
I almost never found any silver at early cellar holes or fields that were abandoned in the 1800s. This was poverty parts of the state back then, they had little to lose.
Only one cornfield gave a 1926 Mercury and my only Spanish, a 1726 half reale. I didn't have my glasses and thought it was 1950s aluminum play money because they're so thin and cheap feeling. 200 years apart.
 
Nice....for me out here? I can only wish I could one day say, "I only found 6 large cents, not much of anything else". Oh....when you wish upon a star..........
 
Is this New England or NY....long ago on another detector forum, a guy from New Hampshire I think, always posted for encouragement, "there is always a large copper in any farm field".
I can't get out anymore but I miss the woods and corn fields. Didn't matter if it was just a button or whatever. Nice pics!
Can confirm, found this 1828 Large Cent a few days ago in a CT field, nothing else out there besides bullets, barbed wire, and horse shoes.
Screenshot_20260825-111655_Gallery.webp
 
I hear ya about "where's the silver?"

Coins found at my most productive Upstate NY farm site:

Counterfeit King George III copper
Toasted King George
Toasted CT Copper
Dateless Large Cent
1801 Draped Bust cent
Matron Head cent 182X
Matron Head cent 183X
Braided Hair cent 184X
British Penny (Victoria, 1860)
Two Cent piece 1865
Three-Cent Nickel (dateless)
Shield Nickel (dateless)
1884 Liberty nickel

Thirteen coins and counting... with NO SILVER!!!!
 
Great day out! I agree with CTWoods, most early farmers were very poor. Over the years I've averaged about 1 Spanish or early American silver (seated or earlier) for every 10 coppers. Many sites will give up quite a few coppers but no silver no matter how much I pound them.
 
Great pictures, Great finds :) you did outstanding
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom