OP
OP
Backwoodsbob

Backwoodsbob

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have looked at buttons. Just couldn't find any that I matched. Hopefully you guys help to determine the age. Thanks Bob

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Upvote 0

Ant

Silver Member
Aug 6, 2006
Cali
Detector(s) used
Glold Bug 2 MineLab SE
It is what I would call a modern day junk corduroy coat or a snap button, the style and rusted out back is a clear indication of that.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Backwoodsbob

Backwoodsbob

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's made of copper not steel

Upvote 0

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Backwoodsbob,

Yep it's a civilian button I've dug lots of copper and brass ones with the rusted out steel back.

Regards + HH

Bill

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Backwoodsbob

Backwoodsbob

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks guys. It was found next to an old camp site about a feet down. I thought it may have been older.

Upvote 0

Anduril

Bronze Member
Aug 31, 2015
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI-2500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I wonder if it would be worthwhile to have a little "mini-class" on techniques to improve close-up photography when using inexpensive cameras, cell phones and accessories? 8-)

1941-Jefferson-Sample.jpg

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Backwoodsbob

Backwoodsbob

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do you know any tips. My s5 has a problem focusing in close

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Backwoodsbob

Backwoodsbob

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
31e82c5277cbf77586938fece023a380.jpg
the best I can do

Upvote 0

steelheadwill

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2010
New Castle NH.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Brain eyes ears and nose
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey Bob,
your button doesn't look anything like the examples posted.
It seems to display some imperfect gravure work quite unlike 'modern day junk corduroy coat or a snap buttons' regardless of some of the back being missing.
Rather than posting an off topic comment about 'Mini classes' ('Macro classes' would have been a more appropriate description) on close-up photography using phone cameras,
S. FL could have been a lot more helpful sharing some of the skills evident in his photo of that (almost) 75 year old War Nickel. :laughing7:
Bob, try backing off a foot or two, brace your phone against a solid object, then use the zoom to frame your subject, the autofocus is more precise when it has a little distance to work with.
You might pick up a clothespin type macro lens that clips over your phones lens, I got one for ten bucks and it does an outstanding job.
(when I'm at home I still pull out the primes cause to me a phone is just a phone and a camera is really a camera, but Dang that S6 takes some good freakin snapshots)
Thanks for showing and HH to Ya, Herbie. :occasion14:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Backwoodsbob

Backwoodsbob

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Herbie, I didn't know that.

Upvote 0

Ant

Silver Member
Aug 6, 2006
Cali
Detector(s) used
Glold Bug 2 MineLab SE
I dont 'see much difference in the symmetry other than what can be attributed to damage, the button is cracked and tweaked. Now that I take a closer look it seems to be a design used in the early 60's, latter they made similar style buttons in plastic, commonly used on corduroy coats.

Attachments

• IMG_20151031_010122.jpg
    IMG_20151031_010122.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 95
  • IMG_20151031_010122.jpg
    IMG_20151031_010122.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 81
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Backwoodsbob

Backwoodsbob

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Then it should be easy to find for reference. Right ant?

Upvote 0

Anduril

Bronze Member
Aug 31, 2015
South Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI-2500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm not really a "button guy", so didn't really have much to offer -- and didn't want to suggest an "ID" of a nickel just to be a smartazz. :laughing7:

I also have a Samsung Galaxy (S5). Decent camera, (decent phone too!) but like SteelHead, I much prefer to use a "real" camera whenever I can.
That said, photography is all about light. Use good light and the camera won't have to work as hard, even the S5.
For something small like a button, you really want to make sure the lighting is nice and even - ideally lighted from all sides.

It's important to remember that with light, the angle of incidence equals the angle of reflection.
If you light from above (i.e., the LED on the S5 phone), the light is just going to bounce back up into the lens and mess things up.
You want to position your light(s) so that their reflections are not in a direct line with the lens. (By the way, this is the same root cause for "red-eye" images of people!)
Side-lighting also helps with contrast.
There's more to it, (such as backing off a bit as SteelHead suggests), but getting the light right helps the focus; getting the focus right makes the image!

Wish I could help you out on the button... :dontknow:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Backwoodsbob

Backwoodsbob

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not really a "button guy", so didn't really have much to offer -- and didn't want to suggest an "ID" of a nickel just to be a smartazz. :laughing7:

I also have a Samsung Galaxy (S5). Decent camera, (decent phone too!) but like SteelHead, I much prefer to use a "real" camera whenever I can.
That said, photography is all about light. Use good light and the camera won't have to work as hard, even the S5.
For something small like a button, you really want to make sure the lighting is nice and even - ideally lighted from all sides.

It's important to remember that with light, the angle of incidence equals the angle of reflection.
If you light from above (i.e., the LED on the S5 phone), the light is just going to bounce back up into the lens and mess things up.
You want to position your light(s) so that their reflections are not in a direct line with the lens. (By the way, this is the same root cause for "red-eye" images of people!)
Side-lighting also helps with contrast.
There's more to it, (such as backing off a bit as SteelHead suggests), but getting the light right helps the focus; getting the focus right makes the image!

Wish I could help you out on the button... :dontknow:
Thanks a lot ,I'm use to it . The smart ones that is. Most of my pictures are of stones that need low light to see the shadows and raised lines. Most of my pictures get me in to trouble on here. But I do have some items that have never been solved. I need to repost thanks again for the help. You have a good one.

Upvote 0

astralea1692

Feb 28, 2015
southwestern Indiana, USA
Detector(s) used
Nope-not yet
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ok people, my mother was a seamstress..it looks like some button covers I have. They used to have fancy covers that snapped over buttons to change the looks, etc.

Upvote 0

Older The Better

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2017
south east kansas
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sometimes I would use a magnifying glass and shoot the pic from my phone through the glass and it helped a lot, also holding the camera back a little way and using the zoom helps, but the zoom can get fuzzy if used too much

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread