Old French Vase, Silver, Glass, Stamps?

angeldf

Greenie
Nov 15, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi, I just get this old french Vase

I know or i think is french for the Writing in the bottom, saying ''travail a la main'' ''hand worked''

Somebody knows what the stamps in the bottom means?

there is any value in the piece? I think says 95% silver, not sure. Is heavy piece.

I would like to know more. Interested maybe to sell it and know if it is something interesting or not for collectors.

Thank you for the info!

Attachments

• _ADF9827.JPG
    _ADF9827.JPG
    463 KB · Views: 62
  • _ADF9828.JPG
    _ADF9828.JPG
    483.7 KB · Views: 77

on.off

Aug 1, 2014
new york city
Detector(s) used
whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is pewter. Not too old probably--I have seen this type of wares in french gift shops. It may be some kind of wine decanter with that grape motif. They use very old style "hallmarks" on some of this kind of merchandise (like colonial Williamsburg does on theirs).

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just tidying up some blasts from the past (including some very ancient ones), largely for the benefit of anyone searching the site for information.

It says “ETAIN 95%” and “étain” is the French word for “tin/pewter” (the accent isn’t usually placed on an upper case ‘E’). The 95% designation means it contains that proportion of tin in the alloy and is only seen on pieces from the later part of the 20th Century onwards… generally not before the 1970s.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread