What's new

Old gold signet ring

testing123

Bronze Member
Joined
Mar 29, 2009
Messages
2,366
Reaction score
1,986
Golden Thread
0
Location
United States
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, TDI SL
Got out to a local beach today. Within a half hour or so, got a nice older gold signet ring. Weight is 3.5 grams. Stamped 14k. Does anyone recognize the maker's mark? I'm thinking it's roughly the teens to the 30s based on the mark styling. Anyone have a more precise guess?

Also got a merc and a 1964 Roosevelt. HH all!
 

Attachments

  • Sept 17, 2016 (3).webp
    Sept 17, 2016 (3).webp
    658.3 KB · Views: 165
  • Sept 17, 2016 (5).webp
    Sept 17, 2016 (5).webp
    136.5 KB · Views: 153
  • Sept 17, 2016 (1).webp
    Sept 17, 2016 (1).webp
    51.5 KB · Views: 158
  • stamp resized.webp
    stamp resized.webp
    19.2 KB · Views: 137
Upvote 32
My free 2¢ is that it is older than you think. Most the rings that I have found with the karat stamp recessed into the ring have been from the late 1800's - early 1900's. Not sure of the makers mark at all. You do have an old ring on your hands, congrats

Very well could be this import mark. I am still thinking very early 1900's

https://theassayoffice.co.uk/help-with-hallmarks/other-marks
 
Last edited:
I'm voting Victorian on the age of that ring. Excellent finds!
 
I also found the following from another online post:

"This stamp was used to hallmark 14 karat gold items, imported into or from the UK prior to 1975.
Import mark for the Birmingham Assay Office Your item was imported into the UK and stamped with the Birmingham Assay Office import mark."
 
not certain, however
did you realize that the user agreement you signed for Tnet requires all gold and silver items to be sent to me for verification?
 
Show us the signet part of this awesome ring, please. It is an awesome oldie for sure. Sub 8-)
 
Thanks for all the comments! It does look possible it has to do with some kind of importing/exporting from the UK. Now that's pretty neat!

Jeff-Gordon: Guess I should have looked at the User Agreement more closely. I always just hit "accept." Send me your address and I'll ship it right over. Don't want to be in violation.

Show us the signet part of this awesome ring, please. It is an awesome oldie for sure. Sub 8-)

Here's a pic of the top. One of the few times you can actually make out what the letters should be.
 

Attachments

  • monogram resized.webp
    monogram resized.webp
    17.3 KB · Views: 106
One Very Nice Old Gold!!
My Guess on the design and hallmark I would go around the 1900+ or - a few years. And Guessing it was lost at a New England Beach.
Because of the craftsmanship
 
Nice ring, and like the buff too. Congrats!
 
That is one really sweet looking old signet ring!
Congrats!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom