What's new

OLD LEAD DIPPER ?

JIMMY555

Jr. Member
Joined
Apr 19, 2009
Messages
29
Reaction score
0
Golden Thread
0
Detector(s) used
SOV. GT
HI This was found in a garden. Can anyone date this and what it was used for? I think it is hand made and has a w or m on the back. It is 10-1/2 in long
 

Attachments

  • SPOON GOOD.webp
    SPOON GOOD.webp
    67.7 KB · Views: 517
  • SPOON BACK.webp
    SPOON BACK.webp
    116 KB · Views: 445
  • SPOON1.webp
    SPOON1.webp
    52.4 KB · Views: 520
  • SPOON2.webp
    SPOON2.webp
    65.6 KB · Views: 704
That was probably for pouring molten lead in to a mold to make bullets :thumbsup:
 
Upvote 0
Plumbers used them to place lead over oakum in cast iron sewer pipes...

Still have my dads around somewhere...probably last used in early 60's
 
Upvote 0
stefen said:
Plumbers used them to place lead over oakum in cast iron sewer pipes...

Still have my dads around somewhere...probably last used in early 60's
The one in question appears to have a hand forged handle?Was your Dads?
 
Upvote 0
I believe the one in the picture was cast and the handle was hammered flat? Tony
 
Upvote 0
Agree with Kugar
bullet lead ladel for pouring into molds
Brady
 
Upvote 0
Tony in SC said:
I believe the one in the picture was cast and the handle was hammered flat? Tony
Can you "hammer",cast metal?
 
Upvote 0
kuger said:
Tony in SC said:
I believe the one in the picture was cast and the handle was hammered flat? Tony
Can you "hammer",cast metal?

Yes. Malleable cast iron can be heated and hammered or even bent, On the back side of the ladle you can see the casting seams on the edges on the handle. I'm thinkg it may be a cooking utensil for an iron pot. The smelting ladles that I have , have a wire handle so it won't get hot. Tony
 
Upvote 0
I've seen both solid handles and wooden handles on Civil War lead ladles as pictured. Breezie
 

Attachments

  • CivilWarLeadLadle.webp
    CivilWarLeadLadle.webp
    3 KB · Views: 1,123
  • LeadLadle.webp
    LeadLadle.webp
    5.3 KB · Views: 556
Upvote 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom