What's new

Old Military Buckle Piece?

robberry

Jr. Member
Joined
Feb 6, 2008
Messages
78
Reaction score
0
Golden Thread
0
Location
Central California, Now NW Florida!
Detector(s) used
EX2 with X-1 Sun Ray Probe
So I found the piece at the same location as the 1853 seated half-dime I found....a fellow MDer tells me its a piece to a two piece buckle.....not that I don't trust him....but I'll feel better with conformations from some others....seems kinda thin to me, but again I've never found an old buckle..lolz...thanks for looking and HH - Rob
 

Attachments

  • 033108.webp
    033108.webp
    66.5 KB · Views: 381
Upvote 0
It could well be the disk from the tongue portion of a two-piece "tongue & wreath" buckle. Some of these, made for use on sashes and dress belts, were of lightweight, die-stamped construction.

For a slightly different example of such a buckle, scroll down to the last set of photos at:

http://www.relicman.com/ArchivePlateMilitiasNotSpecific.htm
 
robberry said:
So I found the piece at the same location as the 1853 seated half-dime I found....a fellow MDer tells me its a piece to a two piece buckle.....not that I don't trust him....but I'll feel better with conformations from some others....seems kinda thin to me, but again I've never found an old buckle..lolz...thanks for looking and HH - Rob

Looks like it is broken, off.. It sure is a war between the states, southern buckle....

Good Job, maybe you can find more at the same place...

ark turtle
 
Excellent find :)

HH
 
There is a similar buckle in the April 2008 issue of Western & Eastern Treasures annual best finds issue. In the ask Mark Parker section on page 12 it is identified by George Weller Juno GWJuno@aol.com as " A c. 1850's early 60's privately purchased sash buckle. Although some of these lightweight, die-stamped, two-piece buckles bear makers marks, most were stock (generic) buckles which were commonly bought not only by militia units but various organizations and individual civilians. A complete and in good condition example would have a retail value of $400 or more"

Congratulations on a great find. What part of California did you find it in?

KG6YLL
 

Attachments

  • stock photo.webp
    stock photo.webp
    10.1 KB · Views: 463

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom