Oct 25, 2020
Reno Nevada summers, Las Vegas winters
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 400, Nokta Simplex+, Nokta Legend, Nokta Accupoint
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Spent the day kicking around some old mines a ways to the south of me. There were lots of spots with piles of old cans and broken bottles, and they all looked like they'd been searched previously, so I looked for spots that looked kind of flat with enough area to pitch a wall tent in between the gulleys and washes. I started finding random small stuff that indicated I was on the right track, then started getting good targets.
IMG_4833.jpeg
IMG_4834.jpeg

It wasn't an easy place to hunt being very rocky, steep and loaded with cholla cactus (nasty stuff!), but it was pretty fun and peaceful. I didn't see another soul out there.
I'll definitely be heading back there soon!

Upvote 44

Florida Finder

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2020
Southern States of America
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Spent the day kicking around some old mines a ways to the south of me. There were lots of spots with piles of old cans and broken bottles, and they all looked like they'd been searched previously, so I looked for spots that looked kind of flat with enough area to pitch a wall tent in between the gulleys and washes. I started finding random small stuff that indicated I was on the right track, then started getting good targets.
View attachment 2074239 View attachment 2074240

It wasn't an easy place to hunt being very rocky, steep and loaded with cholla cactus (nasty stuff!), but it was pretty fun and peaceful. I didn't see another soul out there.
Very cool finds. I like the religious medallions. Congratulations

JohnnyMac

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2012
South Jersey
Detector(s) used
Nox,,Whites Eagle Spectrum,Whites Coinmaster 6000 DI Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
View attachment 2074239 View attachment 2074240

Dang. They all look brand new. Congrats

OP
OP
oldmxrat

oldmxrat

Gold Member
Oct 25, 2020
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds. Wow what a difference dry sandy soil makes on nickels. When you find one here in New England they are unrecognizable. Congrats!
Well, the truth is the nickels got the vinegar/peroxide treatment as they were black when found.

OP
OP
oldmxrat

oldmxrat

Gold Member
Oct 25, 2020
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
The nickels look cleaned and if they weren't one would wonder how they could possibly be so shiny if in the dirt for all those years.
I know of a fellow detectorist that was told about a spot where there was lots of activity back in the day. This is up in the Central City area. He was shown the spot and it was a mess with rusty cans and lots of scrap metal and crap everywhere. He went up two weekends in a row with just trash bags, and some gloves and rake & shovel...
The third weekend he went up with his detector and was rewarded for his efforts with a seated quarter and a Walker as well as some other tidbits.
Just food for thought if you decide to clean up a little area.
Someone lost a quarter eagle out thar somewhere, dang it! lol
Thanks for sharing and good luck you.

OP
OP
oldmxrat

oldmxrat

Gold Member
Oct 25, 2020
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The nickels look cleaned and if they weren't one would wonder how they could possibly be so shiny if in the dirt for all those years.
I know of a fellow detectorist that was told about a spot where there was lots of activity back in the day. This is up in the Central City area. He was shown the spot and it was a mess with rusty cans and lots of scrap metal and crap everywhere. He went up two weekends in a row with just trash bags, and some gloves and rake & shovel...
The third weekend he went up with his detector and was rewarded for his efforts with a seated quarter and a Walker as well as some other tidbits.
Just food for thought if you decide to clean up a little area.
Someone lost a quarter eagle out thar somewhere, dang it! lol
Thanks for sharing and good luck you.
Yep, nickels got a vinegar/peroxide bath.
Thanks for the tip, maybe I'll clean up one of those areas and see what happens!

JeffInMass

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2006
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Explorer XS, Fisher CZ6A
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I was going to ask if those nickels really looked like that when they were found, but saw you claening method- will give that a whirl. As for the religious medallions, I think my avatar will tell you how I feel about those.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread