What's new

Old/New find. Ellensburg Blue Agate scraper?

scepter1

Sr. Member
Joined
May 17, 2011
Messages
361
Reaction score
525
Golden Thread
0
Location
Western Washington
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Old/New find. I was going through some old photos (pre knowledge of indian artifacts) and this appears it might be a thumbnail scraper. Found in the 1970's.
 

Attachments

  • DSCF0148.webp
    DSCF0148.webp
    208.4 KB · Views: 5,077
  • DSCF0145.webp
    DSCF0145.webp
    223.4 KB · Views: 5,315
Upvote 0
what happened to it?....I have a friend that has a complete Ellensburg blue point...it is amazing
 
Nice looking find.
 
Cool piece! How big is it? It looks like gem quality Ellensburg, if the quality is as good as it looks it's probably worth more than a really nice paleo.
 
Beutiful stuff!Do you know if that has been found in Nevada?There is some agate there that looks very similar?My favorite point of all time is that FireOpal point at Favvels Museum
 
True Ellensburg Blues are only found in a limited area, primarily NW of Ellensburg, WA. 95% of all 'Ellensburg Blues' sold on eBay are NOT Ellensburg Blues. It seems that any agate with the slightest blue is automatically deemed to be "Ellensburg" to try and get a better price. I also had (purchased) some fine Blue Agates from the Mojave and Mt. Airy areas that originate in California and Nevada, respectively. Nambia, South Africa also has an agate that looks almost exactly the same.
 
Thanks,we dont find a whole lot of what ever it is,but its sure pretty!!
 
Scepter: That is a gorgeous stone!

I'm also in W. Wa., and if you ever want to take a run back to that area just
give me a shout! I've had -0- experience at gem and artifact collecting, but
certainly have the desire to learn.
 
Peteywhite -> thanks for the email. As I remember it, mineralogists actually say agates have to be banded, and Chalcedony can not have bands. Ellensburg Blues can be banded or solid, but for ease of understanding, both types are called agates. So technically, this stone is Chalcedony.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom