Old Pennies and nickels

dirtdigger1581

Jun 18, 2011
Chesapeake, VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac, Minelab Excalibur II 1000, Garrett AT Pro, Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Today Barry and I headed out to a field that has produced a little bit of everything over the past year. Seen silver coins(American), Indians, wheaties, buffalos, v nickels, flat buttons, civil war lead and the usual junk targets come out of this field. Today was no different. In fact today saw the field as giving as I've seen it since I started detecting it around this time last year. Hadn't been there more than 10 minutes and I hit my first Buffalo of the day. Then came a wheatie, then another buffalo, then another wheatie. And it continued until I had 4 wheaties, 2 buffalos and 1 Indian in my pocket. Also pullled a nice Union(Star) rivet, a round ball and a flat button(coat sized). Also found a nice little shell in the field too.

About 45 mins from the end of the hunt Barry came over to me and needed my help identifying something he'd found. He held out a small silver disc(dime sized) and asked if I could make it out. Unfortunately it was bent into an "L" shape, but I could see some detail. He thought he could see where it said 17-something(date), and pointed to the spot. I looked and saw what I thought was 1775. Then I noticed three Roman numeral "I's" in the upper left hand area. I flipped it over and the back revealed a worn shield and crown above it. My thoughts were that he had a 1775 Carolus III 1/2 Reale coin. It wasn't until I got home that I was able to confirm it. Exactly what it was. I'd like to congratulate Barry on his oldest coin find to date, and couldn't be happier that he was able to pull a nice keeper. The Garret AT Pro worked well for him today! Congrats Barry!

Sorry for not having a pic of his coin. Hopefully he'll get it posted up here soon. Once it's up, I'll try to link this thread to it. Thanks for looking!

Happy Hunting!

-Nate

Attachments

• 11-2-12Group.jpg
    11-2-12Group.jpg
    218.8 KB · Views: 148
  • Shell.jpg
    Shell.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 106
  • Rivet.jpg
    Rivet.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 115
  • 11-2-12buffs.jpg
    11-2-12buffs.jpg
    122.5 KB · Views: 137
Upvote 3

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice saves! I love finding the Buffalo nickels. :thumbsup:

detroitdigger

Bronze Member
Sep 26, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett gtax 1000,Garrett ace 250, Technetics delta
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool finds!!!!

StormSurge

Oct 6, 2011
S E Virginia
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nate,

Somehow l missed this post?
Had a great day! We gotta figure out how to throw in the towel on work, coaching and all other responsible things
and do this "hunting" thing non-stop.

Your equipment, your field, "your coin"! Thanks for letting me hang on to it for a while!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread