Tejon,Whites 5900 diProSl,Silver Micromax

Attachments

• Pill Box3.jpg
    Pill Box3.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 848

PBK

Gold Member
May 25, 2005
I believe it's a figural match safe or vesta, in the shape of a coffin. Sounds weird, I know, but at one time the design wasn't all that uncommon. Here's another one, somewhat plainer.

Attachments

• CM.jpg
    CM.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 764
Upvote 0
OP
OP
MT Digger

MT Digger

Feb 24, 2007
Montana
Detector(s) used
PBK, it appears that the match safe in your first pic is about 4 to 5 inches long. The one I have is only 2 1/2 inches long. Did they make them in different sizes? Or is what I have not a match safe? Thanks for the input so far.

Upvote 0

PBK

Gold Member
May 25, 2005
MT Digger said:
PBK, it appears that the match safe in your first pic is about 4 to 5 inches long. The one I have is only 2 1/2 inches long. Did they make them in different sizes? Or is what I have not a match safe? Thanks for the input so far.

Actually, a lot of match safes or vestas were that small.

The description for the plain one above states that it is only 2" long. http://cgi.ebay.com/COFFIN-SNUFF-BOX-STRIKER-VESTA-MATCH-SAFE-HOLDER_W0QQitemZ180087191205

The one shown next to a penny is 3". http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SUPERB-ANTIQUE-STEEL-BRASS-COFFIN-SNUFFBOX-MATCHSAFE_W0QQitemZ7341902259

The one with the skull & crossbones is listed as 2-1/2" in length as well.
http://www.goodman-antiques.com/match.html

Upvote 0

dg39

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2006
Deep in the swamps of Louisiana..
Detector(s) used
Ace 250--White's 6000 DI Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
May be a Chatelaine item. Coin holder. Don't think it is a match holder. Loop for chain present. 1920's 1940's design. May actually be a pill holder... Really don't think it is a match holder. (sorry PBK)
DG

Upvote 0

PBK

Gold Member
May 25, 2005
Why be sorry? :) Perhaps you're right!

However, a suspension loop certainly doesn't rule out a match safe or vesta.

Upvote 0

dg39

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2006
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A match holder normally had a strike surface. A set of rough ridges on the end of the container. These are not present on the items shown in the actuall post's.. In the antique trade, a match holder is required to have a definite strike surface to be considered such.
Don't have time to post photos. Just though I would enter an opinion based on 30 years experience.
DG

Upvote 0

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
MT Digger said:
Any clues as to what this is? I thought maybe a pill box of some sort and was also told by an old timer that it was an old opium box.

MT,
Heck with the box, was there any opium in it???? ::)
Just kidding of course. Very neat item, with a lot of neat design. 1st time I've ever seen something like that.
Thanks for sharing.
-MM-

Upvote 0

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
Yea... either way it's a damned cool find.

I thought in the old days they struck matches on the bad-guy's beard stubble?

Eh... what do I know. ???

Upvote 0

relic lover

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2006
Western PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE With a plethora of coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hate to contradict PBK but it is kinda wide for its length for a match safe, too much wasted space. I will say pillbox or opium, pick your poison. and PS I have seen lots of matchsafes with no striker & I have plenty of time to post pics but I ain't gonna so there!

Upvote 0

dg39

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2006
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
relic lover said:
I hate to contradict PBK but it is kinda wide for its length for a match safe, too much wasted space. I will say pillbox or opium, pick your poison. and PS I have seen lots of matchsafes with no striker & I have plenty of time to post pics but I ain't gonna so there!
You are correct!
DG ;D

Upvote 0
T

TreasureTales

I'm going to stand with PBK. Looking at the top surface of the item in question, I see a strike surface with those hatch marks. And why would anyone want to put pills into a coffin-shaped box? Seems like predicting one's own demise to me. LOL I also think having a link for a chain makes sense for a chatelaine because they were had all types of attachments on them...fans, keys, mechanical pencils, coin holders, and possibly match safes.

And unlike some of you, I'm willing to take the time to post examples of what I am trying to explain: [lol]

Here's a chatelaine that has nothing attached to it..it's waiting for stuff to be clipped on.
img125.gif

Upvote 0

Angelo

Bronze Member
Mar 7, 2006
Idaho
Here's a couple of more Vesta's

At first I was searching Vespa's and came up with a bunch of motorcycles.

I'm ok now. These are 1-1/4 and others go up to 4".

I'll agree with PBK.

And with TreasureTales. Post Pictures and let's disprove or approve from there.

Tony

Attachments

• slv0051b1.jpg
    slv0051b1.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 564
  • slv0047b1.jpg
    slv0047b1.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 612
  • 2000825358898080_1.jpg
    2000825358898080_1.jpg
    1.5 KB · Views: 661
Upvote 0

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
dg39 said:
relic lover said:
You are correct!
DG ;D
Not to dispute an expert but, since matchsafes come in all shapes and sizes,I can't see how you could come to this conclusion with any type of accuracy,other than your own "guess"timation,educated or not,unless you can find an exact match to this "thing",it could very well be a matchsafe or a pillbox or an opium box or a coinholder or even a stampbox case.There is no definite answer to this item until one like it is found.It's not so unique that another example can't be found,I wouldn't think.Chatelaine item possibly,but like PBK stated,that does not rule out it being a matchholder,based on that alone.I can say I never saw a pillbox that had this type of design.Of course I don't have 30 years in the vast field of Antiques either so.What say we find something that disputes this claim to be a matchsafe or vesta,other than the fact that it can be attached to a chain and it may or may not have a "striker" on it,which proves nothing? EDIT-I forgot to say-Based on the design alone,it looks like a matchsafe to me.

Upvote 0

Angelo

Bronze Member
Mar 7, 2006
Idaho
DIGGUM! Exactly, all that you say! And well put I may add.

Right now to me it's a VESTA!

Use it at your risk.

Tony

Upvote 0
T

TreasureTales

MT Digger, would you consider trying to strike a kitchen match on the top of your box? It might resolve some of the questions.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
MT Digger

MT Digger

Feb 24, 2007
Montana
Detector(s) used
Guess I'll have to go to the store and get some strike-anywhere matches just to put this to rest.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions