What's new

Old Plantation

shanegalang

Bronze Member
Joined
Oct 31, 2007
Messages
1,379
Reaction score
642
Golden Thread
1
Location
Island of Mozambique
🥇 Banner finds
1
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS, X 35 coil, 11" LF coil, Deteknix headphones with WS4 puck, Fiskars steel D-Handle Transplanting Spade
Primary Interest:
Other
I got permission today to search an old plantation site. The home burned down in the early 1800s from what I gather. The huge pilings that held the upper porch are still standing so I will have a very good idea of where the home sat. What do you think I am likely to find? I will be out there at the crack of dawn Saturday with fresh batts and my Tesoro Deleon. I have looked at the site in the past and it looks as tho the ground has never been built up, practically untouched. It is very near the mississippi river, maybe there was some Civil War activity near here, maybe not. Any thoughts? ???
 
Not sure what you will find but I hope you find lots of good stuff. Let us know how it turned out.

Sue

PS: Love your avatar!
 
If the plantation burned in the early 1800's , I wouldn't think that it would have been occupied for too many years. It may be a fairly "clean" site. Civil war artifacts? Hmmmm, hard to say since the home was inhabitable during the war. The land could have been used as a camp though.

Likely finds will be square nails which are way cool, brass and iron buckles, various pieces of unidentifiable iron. Certainly gotta believe there's an old coin or two waiting for you. Perhaps a large cent.

Any idea when the structure was built? Look for signs of the privy. And please post a picture of the pilings!!!

Jamie
 
Gold and lots of it! You never know...

HH,
Ramapirate
 
Hey Shane,
You might find the skeleton key to the old house, that was one of the first things I found when I searched an old plantation site where the old home used to sit. I also found some horseshoes and some old coins, expect to find old silverware also. Good luck and let us know what you found. John
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom