Old racecourse relics

tuatara

Jan 21, 2010
Detector(s) used
ML Explorer SE
We planned to wake up at 6 am for a long travel to what was advertised as a picturesque picnic location. I was trying to crack a treasure map when our alarm clock went off ;D. I heard it ringing like h%ll but it did not wake me up completely. When finally I opened my eyes it was already 9 am. We packed our ice box but never made it to a picnic that day because after 3-hour-drive we spotted an overgrown field with a faint outline of an oval. We decided to check it because an oval looked like a small racecourse. We hit few little open spaces where it was still possible to swing our coil. The beeper immediately screamed big but it was only a corroded 1912 ½ penny coin lying on the surface. The soil is parched here because of a drought which made our digging quite an exercise. I reckon it’s very similar to recovering targets from a frozen ground. Sometimes it comes at a price of scratching things. That’s exactly what I did to 1 penny of 1917. Later we added to our very modest loot 3pence of 1900, 6pence of 1906 and a bent ½ penny of 1908. A tiny horse head and shoe charm stamped on the back ST.SILVER broke the sequence of coins and disintegrated what-ifs. I can just imagine some jockey or a gambling farmer losing it. Other non-coin keeper this time was a decorative belt buckle. The strangest find for us happened to be a yang and yin enamel and brass charm. It seems to be silver plated once. Though it has that Chinese motif, its frame is elongated as in European jewellery. Really cannot place that one :icon_scratch:. We were about to drive back when we saw something glistening under the tree. There we picked up an amethyst glass lavender oil (?) bottle ca 1900-1920 filled with dry soil. I spent some time cleaning it.

Attachments

• coins001.jpg
    coins001.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 699
  • buckle001.jpg
    buckle001.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 695
  • luckycharms001.jpg
    luckycharms001.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 689
  • pefumebottle001.jpg
    pefumebottle001.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 694
  • perfumebottle002.jpg
    perfumebottle002.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 693
Upvote 0

Deepdiger60

Silver Member
Jun 18, 2009
Long Island E-end
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT,Sovereign xs2-pro Fisher CZ21 Custom Skullies , Stealth 720-i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds i like the Tokens :icon_thumleft: that small bottle looks like a lead crystal salt shaker ? Good Hunt Jim

MaineRelic

Bronze Member
Mar 9, 2008
MAINE
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesorso's, Minelabs, Garrett's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some nice old coppers and some great relics from that site ! I really like the black and white tear drop pendant ! An old ying and yang pendant ?? MaineReilc.

OP
OP
tuatara

tuatara

Jan 21, 2010
Detector(s) used
ML Explorer SE
i like your wrist watch

Ha ha. It's some bank brochure I used as a background for photos.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Some nice looking finds there, liking the patina :icon_thumright:

CMDiamonddawg

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2009
Jersey Cape
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265X & CZ-7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tuatara ,Some really decent finds there :o I like the "yin and yang "pendant :thumbsup: Keep up the good work!!!!

extractor

Silver Member
Sep 27, 2007
Sal Sagev Adaven
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC,,,, SOVEREIGN GT,,,, GP 3500,,,,
GB PRO.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wicked great digs, Congrats! Looking forward to more of your posts . :coffee2:

Des from down under

Jun 26, 2009
taupo
Detector(s) used
garett 1500 gti and T2 ltd, garrett propointer
neat finds tuatara...well ...you might find a jade hei tiki there one day... cheers.. :hello2:

OP
OP
tuatara

tuatara

Jan 21, 2010
Detector(s) used
ML Explorer SE
Thank you for looking and comments. Happy Hunting :hello2: :hello2: :hello2:

neat finds tuatara...well ...you might find a jade hei tiki there one day... cheers..
Never giving up on that one :D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread