Left coast
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Love to treasure hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello,

Like most of you here I love my local history. Sometimes I feel like I am the only person in town who knows about the subterranean treasures.

The tyrannical wuhan flu regulations closed many businesses in my town, including our precious bowling alley. But there is a 90% silver lining to this. The bowling alley sits atop the land that once was a school house! My local historical society has a few photos, and a few descriptions of the “Nelson school”

I have included a description of the schoolhouse from our historical society:

This view is of the second Nelson School, built in 1902; the seventh grade class is standing by the front door. Anna and Maren Johansen are identified. The first Nelson School was constructed in 1884 on land donated by the Nelson family. Noah and Catherine Nelson moved to Fidalgo Island in 1882. The 4-5-1882 NORTHWEST ENTERPRISE reported, "Mr. Noah Nelson from Howard, Minnesota, is on his way to this place." They donated a portion of their land for a school in 1884. the 3-22-1884 edition reported, "Miss Jessie Williams will open school in the new house just completed near Mr. N. Nelson in Section 18." That schoolhouse served as the center of the community, then known as Utopia, an area absorbed by Anacortes in 1890. The 12-27-1884 edition reported, "The Christmas tree at the Nelson school house was a success. Fidalgo Island was represented from Anacortes to Similk Bay, and from Fidalgo to Lake Erie, Guemes also being well represented." The new Nelson School, pictured here, cost $3200; it was demolished in 1951 and San Juan Bowling now (2008) occupies the site. See WF 2584.

Demolition started this summer, and has been going slowly. Part of the sidewalk was torn out, and I got a early wheat cent. I was very proud of this sweetie, I knew it was from the Nelson school. I knew it was from this old school house, that may be 1 in 1000 people in town have ever even heard about. (I made that ratio up)

I was upset when the main structure was quarantined, demolished, and then lots of Fill brought in. But work on the site continued, and more fresh dirt was exposed near the main road and sidewalk. So last night, I got to detecting.

First target was another wheatie, and second target was my merc! I spent about an hour and a half on a relatively small patch, many many many coins. Mostly from the 60s, and nothing else was good. The bowling alley has been a big attraction for 60 years. And I believe I was just getting bowling alley money after my silver find.

I will definitely keep an eye on this project, as I want to find all the old money my town folks Kin dropped in centuries past.

I will include a photo of my humble find. Thank you for reading, I am a little excited about this, and just wanted to share.
EA9E6672-6004-4943-B96B-44B1FEF8BB73.jpeg
F29E1D7E-58C8-4BD5-A34F-61F3CA30A061.jpeg

Upvote 18

Lenrac2

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2021
Illinois
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Denise-Nokta Legend/Garrett Apex Nox600
Bob-AT Max/ Nox800
Primary Interest: