What's new

Old shotgun shells!!

AugustMoose87

Sr. Member
Joined
Sep 10, 2014
Messages
446
Reaction score
264
Golden Thread
0
Location
Longmont, CO
Detector(s) used
Gold Pan, Sluice, Hand Dredge, X-Terra 30, X-Terra 705, Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not exactly what I have been hoping to find (still waiting on my first gold or silver), but a good sign that the area hasn't seen much detecting.... Before the park was a park, it was a private sportsman's club. Near where the club house is rumored to have stood, I have found 4 old shotgun shells - 2 Rem-UMC No 12 Arrow and 2 Winchester No 12 Leader. The Winchester's were manufactured between 1930 and 1933, and the Remington's 1915-1942. All 4 were in pretty rough shape, but I saved the head of of the best of each type. No I just need to hope they dropped some change and I'll be in business...

IMG_20141022_185634.webp
 
Great thread and finds, that link is the best site I have found for dating them so far. I am a gun nut so I really enjoy finding the old brass and am working on a shadow box set up to display some of the early ones.
 
Last edited:
Dug about 20+ more 'Wanna be Buttons' SG Shells yesterday , Some are pretty old.

Davers
 
Those signals definitely make the minds imagination kick in.

powered by pull tabs
 
Well, the season changed, and I had/got to leave my summer seasonal park and start at my winter seasonal park. So the campground/old hunt club I had been finding most of my shells at got a rest, and I started working an old homestead. Not especially old, rare, or cool, but it adds to the collections

Federal No 12 Hi-Power (20's-50's)
IMG_20141129_161927.webp
 
I'm glad you posted it reminded me about this thread I dug six of these guys in about a 3 foot square area today.
I believe they are the first type created by the US Cartridge Company

ForumRunner_20141130_213604.webp



ForumRunner_20141130_213619.webp
http://www.headstamps.x10.mx/uscco.html
 
Last edited:
NICE!! That one cleaned up really well. I keep hoping I'll find something other than a 12 just for variety.
 
I put a drop of mineral oil on my finger and wiped off that one the others will probably clean up too.
 
I'll have to try that on mine...
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom