Deepdiger60

Silver Member
Jun 18, 2009
Long Island E-end
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT,Sovereign xs2-pro Fisher CZ21 Custom Skullies , Stealth 720-i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
before it got dark i went back to that gas station site the heavy equipment had finish grading the dirt for the day about a foot and a half down pushing it up in piles at the end of the property the foundation was still there all heavy stone to make a very long storie short because iam still in shock what i found in 7 different holes all around 7 to 8 inches deep ill try maybe tomm. to give better details 1 hole gave up 5 half's another had inches apart 3 silver dollars the rest of the coins was found all near by those finds .i can not believe what i found !! :o tg that bull dozier operator did what he did or i never could of got that deep with my DFX i need to shake his hand tomm.? lol heres some pics i took, before i detected early this morning found a few good things i went to work then back to the same spot again just a 60 minutes before dark iam so tired now but iam still staring at these coins . Total finds today 14 silver 1 IH and a small gold high school 1959 pin 10k . I think just off the top of my head the 1886 O Morgan is a key date coin ? and i just love that 1893 Colombian Half , also a 1850 Seated half dime i almost missed it , it took 3 times to see it in my hand in the dirt lol . these finds all where found hear where the old pumps used to be i think it was a ESSO station before that iam not sure . STILL IN SHOCK !! HH Jim :headbang:

Attachments

• 100_0318.jpg
    100_0318.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 5,398
  • 100_0319.jpg
    100_0319.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 5,398
  • 100_0327.jpg
    100_0327.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 5,532
  • 100_0328.jpg
    100_0328.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 5,516
Upvote 3

HCW

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2007
Metro west ,Boston
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Whites MXT "retired"
Daydream said:
A beautiful find! I used to go to Mattituck as a kid also. The Polish farm kids who threw 100# potato sacks around all day would love to into town to hassle the soft city kids like myself. Drinking age was 18 then and I got thrown out of the bar called the "Apple Tree" more than once.

The soil is very sandy on Long Island perhaps that is why they look so good.

Tom
the Apple Tree Lounge yes. I'm pretty sure it's gone now. My Dad built a summer home on Cox Neck Lane in (started in '65 and finished in'71). We used to fish off Naugles dock or rent sciffs at Capt. Marty's.

Bridge End Farm

Gold Member
Dec 2, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Library
Deepdiger60 said:
ModernMiner said:
Fantastic coins Jim. A well deserved BANNER day indeed. :thumbsup:
Congrats & looking forward to hopefuly seeing more on your return.
-MM-

Well i just drove the wife to work and OH NO ! some time during the night someone put one of those 6 foot chain link temp fences up all around the property with a SIGN !that reads no trespassing !! all along the fence >:( one guy was there in a truck he said because of insurance regulations they have to do that he also said today they are pulling up the 2 underground gas tanks i can understand that i had my shot and happy about it, i properly will never get a find like that again , i was ready this time DFX camera and knee pads lol hey this 60 year old knees just aint what they used to be . OMG !! i see i made a Banner ? uumm just what is the Banner Ive only been in this GREAT SITE a few months not very knowledgeable about these things ? but thank you all ! :thumbsup: Jim and HH

sometimes they will let you on after hours, and as others said ask where the dirt is going is a great idea too
nice finds

cheffer

Sep 17, 2004
Western Mass
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Fisher 1275 LTD, Fisher 1265, Fisher 1270, Tesoro Vaquero
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow, nice coins....
You've found 5 silver dollars in 5 months? A lot luckier than me, I've been at this for years and am still waiting for BIG silver.
Congratulations on a sweet collection,
Steve

OP
OP
Deepdiger60

Deepdiger60

Silver Member
Jun 18, 2009
Long Island E-end
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov GT,Sovereign xs2-pro Fisher CZ21 Custom Skullies , Stealth 720-i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Daydream said:
A beautiful find! I used to go to Mattituck as a kid also. The Polish farm kids who threw 100# potato sacks around all day would love to into town to hassle the soft city kids like myself. Drinking age was 18 then and I got thrown out of the bar called the "Apple Tree" more than once.

The soil is very sandy on Long Island perhaps that is why they look so good.

Tom
Hi Daydream the soil is sandy here but not everywhere a lot of areas have a layer of sea shells mostly oyster and scallop that starts down about 7 inches ive yet to find anything below that layer very salty to , this year my son who is 32 worked Johnnie S potato farm during harvest diggin those spuds !!!! his back still hurts 27 truck loads !! lol . I think the Apple Tree is gone now .
HH Jim

Urban Prospector

Feb 21, 2007
N OC CA
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT,Compass 94B & 77B
congrates on the finds. A couple of thoughts come to mind. Could the coins have been preserved by oil /grease intentionally or petroleum residue in the soil since it was a filling station? Here in Cali all the dirt would be handled as toxic waste and hauled of to an incinerator. I worked in a gas station many years ago and the boss hated big silver cuz there wasn't a cubby hole in the cash box for them. My first impression is they were planted and possibly greased for preservation much like cosmoleane ( which, like Obama, doesn't exist according to my spell check) on a military item.

RonnieAZ

Nov 15, 2009
Prescott AZ
Detector(s) used
E-trac GP extreme sovereign elite gold bug 2
Very cool indeed I wish I could have a day like that i've been hunting a fairgrounds that started 1850s as a rodeo grounds I know there had to be some oldies around this huge area but so far I only found a few weaties and 2 silver dimes a 63 and 64 I'm sure its been detected many times before but there has to be a few good ones left. -RonnieAZ

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008
RonnieAZ:

Use a large coil and dig up odd signals. Those old coins are probably beyond
reach of a small coil.

61willys

Jan 3, 2009
Central Ca.
Detector(s) used
whites mxt/ whites Prizm 4/505 and EyeBalls
:hello2: holy Cow wow and congrats....just got me thinkin about old...station nearby....Hope to hear more soon...
Dave

HISPAN

Gold Member
Mar 15, 2009
Detector(s) used
WHITES MXT ,GARRET ACE150,GARRET SEA HUNT MARK II.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice Treasure... y vote Banner ! :hello2:

steelheadwill

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2010
New Castle NH.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Brain eyes ears and nose
Primary Interest:
Other
Great Bunch of Hi-Grade Silver!
Guess I missed the boat up here,
same situation, old station bulldozed out, spent only 15 minutes there. :P

well, at the time had another spot that was giving good :laughing7:
Thanks for showing!

U

umrgolf

capri_auto said:
n way those coins were dug, sorry but come on....

Like the others, I think someone must have recently lost their coin collection there.

Lookin

Feb 15, 2008
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
White's MXT; backup - BH Pioneer 505
Primary Interest:
Other
Holy smokes!! Nice digging!! I think I would have slipped that truck driver a $20 to slip into the fence for another hour or two...."environmental sampling for heavy metals!" :laughing7:

CMDiamonddawg

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2009
Jersey Cape
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265X & CZ-7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
::) This thread was posted last year at this time :icon_scratch: is instant replay on ???

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread