
Moe (fl) said:Thanks for the replies!
Buckles - thank you for the ID and link. Yours seems identical to the one I found. Also the guy in NY found one too. So we have three identical suspender clips found in North Florida, Kentucky, and New York. Do you think that these could be Union soldiers' suspenders?
-Moe
You have 1/2 of a two piece set. I found mine two years ago near a river along with some Civil War buttons. Not sure if it is Civil War related or not though.Moe (fl) said:Thanks for the replies!
Buckles - thank you for the ID and link. Yours seems identical to the one I found. Also the guy in NY found one too. So we have three identical suspender clips found in North Florida, Kentucky, and New York. Do you think that these could be Union soldiers' suspenders?
-Moe

BuckleBoy said:Moe (fl) said:Thanks for the replies!
Buckles - thank you for the ID and link. Yours seems identical to the one I found. Also the guy in NY found one too. So we have three identical suspender clips found in North Florida, Kentucky, and New York. Do you think that these could be Union soldiers' suspenders?
-Moe
Well... If you found the clip in an area with other CW relics, you could throw it in the case--it is "Civil War Era." But on the other hand, we all know what 99.99% of CW troops used to hold their pants up.![]()
I have found close to 40 suspender clips in mid-to-late 1800s Civilian sites this year.
Best Wishes,
Buckleboy
It sits in one of my other 1800's buckle cases. Btw the only CW items I ever found in NH were eagle buttons.
-- and finding them in a area where known civil war items were found and knowing their age is within that time range --I personally would think they most likely were used by the troops -- but there is not way to "iron clad" prove it -- so they can be "properly" claimed as "civil war era" if your selling them**** -- now if its solely for your "private collection" only however -- I would feel it is ok to say to others --that you feel its most likely civil war troop used * so long as you explained that the reason for your thinking so---- that it was found near and along with other "known" civil war items and is of the correct time frame -- the suspender clip might have just been a popular brand * of the day which could account for it being at several "differant" places --- just like ford cars today are all over the usa .I like your approach to this situation 8)ivan salis said:well while not issued gear * thus not marked "us govt " or "csa"--- I'm fairly sure if they were avialible union and confederate folks both used suspenders to hold their pants up * since its kind hard to load a muzzleloading rifle with just one hand (since you hold it with one hand and ramrod with the other)-- so you can't do it if one hand is holding yer pants up.![]()
-- and finding them in a area where known civil war items were found and knowing their age is within that time range --I personally would think they most likely were used by the troops -- but there is not way to "iron clad" prove it -- so they can be "properly" claimed as "civil war era" if your selling them**** -- now if its solely for your "private collection" only however -- I would feel it is ok to say to others --that you feel its most likely civil war troop used * so long as you explained that the reason for your thinking so---- that it was found near and along with other "known" civil war items and is of the correct time frame -- the suspender clip might have just been a popular brand * of the day which could account for it being at several "differant" places --- just like ford cars today are all over the usa .
Thirteen years later. I hope you guys are still around. This is a 2 piece buckle that had wide straps. The other half of the buckle looks similar but 2 tongues.
I haven't read George's book yet. I am working on my own thing on Fb right now. I started my new group on 1800's suspender buckles, etc. about a week or two ago. If I were to write a book on this subject, I would need the help of an army.send it to the guy who just wrote and released the poorly-written suspender buckle book. He has it listed as one there but from your photo it’s obviously a sash buckle instead!
Yeah I would’nt be in any hurry to go out and buy his book. As a resource it’s really poor.I haven't read George's book yet. I am working on my own thing on Fb right now. I started my new group on 1800's suspender buckles, etc. about a week or two ago. If I were to write a book on this subject, I would need the help of an army.