Minesota
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    659.5 KB · Views: 202
Upvote 4
Since you posted this in Today's Finds, can you tell us where you found it and give a little info? Welcome to Tnet.

Minesota it was in a pile of junk going to recycle lady said had it long time was not taking to new house I'm a mover, could not send it to scrap iron I could not see any marks but it's rusty is there any place I should look extra hard,

The blade at the base and the hilt look for any numbers or emblems or markings.

Try a thread on the sub forum "What Is It?" and include many sharp closeup pics. There are some folks there that can probably answer your questions. Good call on rescuing it.

What kind of cleaner would you use on steel to clean it up looks like leather strips on handle no brass it's a work sword

I would not clean anything till you find out it's value. Many objects are worth much less when cleaned

Cavalry saber looks like. English or German.

from the "guard" its a older style sword ..with the curved type saber blade likely cavalry --pre civil war maybe even rev war era ..its old for sure .--beware of cleaning it --you can screw up the value in many cases if you do..markings are often stamped near the hilt area on the blade by the handle .

it appears to me at first glance to be a late 1700 to early 1800 's era --husser type blade ( british light cavalry ) similar to the Austrian husser blades the guard has the wide outward bow at the bottom like a husser sword would have as well as a curved blade ...I hope this is helpful

Last edited:
ah found it * british model of 1796 "husser" sword (light cavalry) normally 32 1/2 to 33 inches ) note some infantry units adopted a slighter smaller version * thus the 31 inch length --- many bootleg "copies" of it were used by US Dragoons in the war of 1812--so it was issued to US troops ...so it might be US military Dragoon issued sword from the war of 1812 time frame era --or the slightly shorter type one adopted for use by British infantry ...depending upon exactly what troops were in the area where it was found -- late 1700 / early 1800's light cavalry sword --just like I thought..

Last edited:
Nice looks great. I wonder what a sword would look like if you found it under the pier. Maybe the size of metal you found today with your friend. Nice meeting you guy's remember just dig it.

I WOULDNT TOUCH THAT FIND WITH A 20 FOOT POLE NEW MEMBER AND WELCOME TO TNET . WAITING TO SEE WHICH ONE OF THE MANY FREINDS ON THIS SITE TO CHIME IN AND GIVE YOU A HAND BUT I WOULDNT TOUCH IT EITHER . SOMEWHERE I HAVE SEEN STARS ON THE SIDE OF THE HANDLE OF A SWORD LIKE THIS????????????????????

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back