Old Town Park in The Woods Best Day Detecting to Date! Seated Dime Indians Shields V

Blueblood

Oct 10, 2013
Central Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO, Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I received permission to detect a patch of woods that used to the a park to a town that lost to its bigger rival for existence. The town sat south of the park. It is now a wooded area near the river. I did find the old outdoor theater foundation. Had one of the best detecting days so far!! First time detecting in the woods too believe it or not. The woods protected me from the elements more than I realized. Not too bad digging the floor with the Predator. Cut right through the roots. I hope to return tomorrow if the snow and colder temps aren't too bad.
IMG_6115.JPGIMG_6116.JPGIMG_6120.JPGIMG_6122.JPGIMG_6124.JPGIMG_6126.JPGIMG_6128.JPGIMG_6129.JPGIMG_6130.JPGIMG_6132.JPGIMG_6133.JPGIMG_6134.JPGIMG_6145.JPG

Upvote 41
very
nice finds

That hunt will be remembered by you for a long time. A tribe of indians and with those old nickles too. Plus a great dime and an awesome half dollar. Go back there must still be items to unearth.

Awesome site! Way to go on some excellent old coins!

Great Finds and a nice Site. I love woods hunting old parks. Make sure you roll logs etc. I'm sure there's more to be found there

HH Jer

Great finds. I bet you'll look at woods spots differently now! [emoji2]

Congratz on an awesome day! Any fraction of those finds would have been a good day for me! Everything looks in pretty good shape and that's a nice assortment of coins.

MAN CHECK OUT THEM FINDS .

I don't blame you one bit for heading out! Regular people don't understand that drive that motivates us. If there is a reasonable chance of finding something good, very few things will get in the way of the pursuit. Best of luck to you!

I went out! Ha! And your right! I found some more goodies....I will post soon...

great Pics - Any idea how long the park has been abandoned?

Well, here is an excerpt I found on a site concerning the once important pioneer town lost to antiquity: "...it is said that at one time (name of town) was a flourishing village with stores, wagon shops, blacksmiths shops, taverns and other establishments of any well known town on one of the heavily traveled pioneer thoroughfares. Here is a map of the original plat drawn in 1833. It is believed it disappeared not long after due to a larger rival also near the rail.

metal detecting town.jpg

Great Finds and a nice Site. I love woods hunting old parks. Make sure you roll logs etc. I'm sure there's more to be found there

HH Jer

I thought about that the entire time, rolling logs. I told myself that would be something to do when I return and feel like I have hunted it out. There is no restriction on how many times I can hunt it. Been very tight lipped on where it is exactly. It's hard to find a good spot that hasn't been cleaned out.

Well, here is an excerpt I found on a site concerning the once important pioneer town lost to antiquity: "...it is said that at one time (name of town) was a flourishing village with stores, wagon shops, blacksmiths shops, taverns and other establishments of any well known town on one of the heavily traveled pioneer thoroughfares. Here is a map of the original plat drawn in 1833. It is believed it disappeared not long after due to a larger rival also near the rail.

View attachment 1270741

Thanks for sharing - I have a similar project in the works come spring - a park located off a trolley line that shut down in 1908 and now is overgrown woods - so was curious. Good stuff - lookng forward to seeing more from Cen. Indiana - Happy Hunting!

Real nice grouping of coins. Bound to be a lot more where those came from.

well done sir !!!I truly envy you for nailing down a great site..:occasion14:

Congratualtions on the silver, nickels and coppers! :occasion14:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back