What's new

Old West Whiskey Saloon Gamblers Row Reno Token or fob or something?

diggingthe1

Silver Member
Joined
Feb 11, 2015
Messages
2,777
Reaction score
6,887
Golden Thread
0
Location
Victor, CO...City of Mines
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ800, Ex2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You never know what will pop out of the ground around here. I would love to know what this is, (besides one of my favorites) maybe just an advertisement. 1899 O Barber Quarter. Pretty rare for Colorado . The May advertisement must be old!! Happy Hunting, it's hot up here at 9700 feet, I can't Imagine...
 

Attachments

  • 20260808_080339.webp
    20260808_080339.webp
    2.5 MB · Views: 236
  • photo0278.webp
    photo0278.webp
    148.8 KB · Views: 74
  • 20260808_091455.webp
    20260808_091455.webp
    1.7 MB · Views: 77
  • 20260808_091420.webp
    20260808_091420.webp
    933.1 KB · Views: 90
  • 20260808_080333.webp
    20260808_080333.webp
    2.6 MB · Views: 92
  • 20260808_080326.webp
    20260808_080326.webp
    2.7 MB · Views: 96
  • 20260808_091414.webp
    20260808_091414.webp
    2.7 MB · Views: 97
  • photo0278.webp
    photo0278.webp
    148.8 KB · Views: 89
  • 20260808_080401.webp
    20260808_080401.webp
    1.9 MB · Views: 81
  • 20260808_080333.webp
    20260808_080333.webp
    2.6 MB · Views: 67
  • 20260808_080326.webp
    20260808_080326.webp
    2.7 MB · Views: 99
Upvote 22
The printing plate and RR switch key are cool too. :icon_thumright:
 
Cool finds.

Your picture of the Oberon saloon in Reno is said to have been taken in 1904, but it opened in 1893, burned down in 1932, and was restored to its original state in 1934. [Revised below in post #10 and the plaque below relates to a different Oberon Saloon in Napa]

Oberon.webp


The original proprietor was Charles Dreyer, but contemporary listings also have the spelling as ‘Dryer’. By 1906, the proprietors were listed as King & Wm. A. Justi.

Dreyer.webp


The saloon was renowned for offering quality whiskies such as Cyrus Noble Old Bourbon, distilled in Kentucky and bottled in San Francisco by the Haas Brothers. The term ‘Old Goods’ was frequently used in advertising signage by Cyrus Noble to underline that they sold well- matured whiskies (this sign is from a much later period):

Noble.webp


I would think you have a promotional watch fob rather than any kind of token for payment/exchange.
 
Last edited:
Thanks Red Coat, the history we dig up is so interesting!! I appreciate the information on the piece, it sure is a cool one!! And thanks for the id. I saw token catalog had a token from there.
 
... The May advertisement must be old!!

Yep, it’s obviously a printing plate, probably for newspaper advertisements. With reversal and enhancement it says “The May Clothing Co.’ which was the forerunner of The May Department Stores Company.

plate.webp


The company was founded in Leadville, CO in 1877 as May, Holcomb & Dean, initially to capitalise on the dry goods provisions and workwear needs of the influx of miners. The partnership ended the following year and David May then established The Great Western Auction House & Clothing Store, moved headquarters to Denver, CO in 1889 and renamed to The May Company in 1899 after he acquired the E. R. Hull & Dutton Co. of Cleveland.

After further acquisitions, the company incorporated as The May Department Stores Company in 1910.
 
Thanks Red Coat, the history we dig up is so interesting!! I appreciate the information on the piece, it sure is a cool one!! And thanks for the id. I saw token catalog had a token from there.

You're welcome, but I must apologise that the plaque I showed relates to a completely different Oberon saloon (in Napa). First mention of the one in Reno operated by Charles Dreyer seems to be October 1902 (but it may have opened earlier than that) and that it was out of business by the early 1910s.
 
Last edited:
Yep, it’s obviously a printing plate, probably for newspaper advertisements. With reversal and enhancement it says “The May Clothing Co.’ which was the forerunner of The May Department Stores Company.

View attachment 2262047

The company was founded in Leadville, CO in 1877 as May, Holcomb & Dean, initially to capitalise on the dry goods provisions and workwear needs of the influx of miners. The partnership ended the following year and David May then established The Great Western Auction House & Clothing Store, moved headquarters to Denver, CO in 1889 and renamed to The May Company in 1899 after he acquired the E. R. Hull & Dutton Co. of Cleveland.

After further acquisitions, the company incorporated as The May Department Stores Company in 1910.
Thanks growing up in a suburb of Denver, this is a great find for me! I appreciate the picture flip and enhancement. I found some printers ink and may give it a go!!
 
This is a bot off thread... The next time you come across a plastic casino chip, look at it under UV light. You just might be surprised.
 
You had a fun day ! Love that killer fob ! Nice find on the printing block, when I get into my old newspapers I will look and see if I can find a printed ad of yours as well, I still need to frame mine. Wish those bottles would have been local for ya !
 
That is a great batch of finds. I like that star advertising item.
 
You had a fun day ! Love that killer fob ! Nice find on the printing block, when I get into my old newspapers I will look and see if I can find a printed ad of yours as well, I still need to frame mine. Wish those bottles would have been local for ya !
Thanks Charlie. Those plates look cool in frames. Found a nice button yesterday!
 

Attachments

  • 20260810_183024.webp
    20260810_183024.webp
    1.3 MB · Views: 17

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom