What's new

Old West Whiskey Saloon Gamblers Row Reno Token or fob or something?

diggingthe1

Silver Member
Joined
Feb 11, 2015
Messages
2,777
Reaction score
6,887
Golden Thread
0
Location
Victor, CO...City of Mines
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ800, Ex2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You never know what will pop out of the ground around here. I would love to know what this is, (besides one of my favorites) maybe just an advertisement. 1899 O Barber Quarter. Pretty rare for Colorado . The May advertisement must be old!! Happy Hunting, it's hot up here at 9700 feet, I can't Imagine...
 

Attachments

  • 20260808_080339.webp
    20260808_080339.webp
    2.5 MB · Views: 239
  • 20260808_080326.webp
    20260808_080326.webp
    2.7 MB · Views: 100
  • 20260808_080333.webp
    20260808_080333.webp
    2.6 MB · Views: 67
  • 20260808_080401.webp
    20260808_080401.webp
    1.9 MB · Views: 81
  • photo0278.webp
    photo0278.webp
    148.8 KB · Views: 90
  • 20260808_091414.webp
    20260808_091414.webp
    2.7 MB · Views: 98
  • 20260808_080326.webp
    20260808_080326.webp
    2.7 MB · Views: 97
  • 20260808_080333.webp
    20260808_080333.webp
    2.6 MB · Views: 92
  • 20260808_091420.webp
    20260808_091420.webp
    933.1 KB · Views: 90
  • 20260808_091455.webp
    20260808_091455.webp
    1.7 MB · Views: 78
  • photo0278.webp
    photo0278.webp
    148.8 KB · Views: 74
Upvote 22
i am big fan of those old bottles... got any more?
 
You never know what will pop out of the ground around here. I would love to know what this is, (besides one of my favorites) maybe just an advertisement. 1899 O Barber Quarter. Pretty rare for Colorado . The May advertisement must be old!! Happy Hunting, it's hot up here at 9700 feet, I can't Imagine...
Very Cool!!! Congrats!!!
 
Yep, it’s obviously a printing plate, probably for newspaper advertisements. With reversal and enhancement it says “The May Clothing Co.’ which was the forerunner of The May Department Stores Company.

View attachment 2262047

The company was founded in Leadville, CO in 1877 as May, Holcomb & Dean, initially to capitalise on the dry goods provisions and workwear needs of the influx of miners. The partnership ended the following year and David May then established The Great Western Auction House & Clothing Store, moved headquarters to Denver, CO in 1889 and renamed to The May Company in 1899 after he acquired the E. R. Hull & Dutton Co. of Cleveland.

After further acquisitions, the company incorporated as The May Department Stores Company in 1910.
That’s a fascinating bit of history! I love how a simple old printing plate can lead to the whole story behind a major department-store chain. The fact that it traces back to a mining boom in Leadville makes it even more interesting. I wonder how many other forgotten advertising plates like this are still sitting in archives or private collections. Do you think the plate could be dated more precisely based on the typography or wording?
 
Last edited:
That’s a fascinating bit of history! I love how a simple old printing plate can lead to the whole story behind a major department-store chain. The fact that it traces back to a mining boom in Leadville makes it even more interesting. I wonder how many other forgotten advertising plates like this are still sitting in archives or private collections. Do you think the plate could be dated more precisely based on the typography or wording?

Yes, I agree.

The company naming history would suggest a likely date between 1899 and 1910, which is probably about as precise as you're going to get.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom