What's new

Older proof question

adambomb106

Jr. Member
Joined
Jun 25, 2009
Messages
33
Reaction score
0
Golden Thread
0
Location
Midland City, AL
I have found several S proofs which were all 1997 or better. Do the older S proofs look the same, or is there something else to be looking for? The newer ones easily catch the eye. Just wondering if I need to slow down to find the old ones.
 
Upvote 0
Generally, if not mishandled too much, proofs will still have a mirrored background and raised areas will look white (or frosted).

Proof halves in '76 and every year starting in '92, proof dimes, quarters and halves were offered in both copper nickel clad (CuNi) as well as 90% silver.

Hope this helps.
 
Trust me, if they are proofs you will spot them. That is unless they are totally worn down. And if its silver you will know too...
 
I found three yesterday, 72, 87 and 81. All had the mirrored background, thicker planchets and S mint mark. Easy to spot.

JasonB
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom