Oldest US Silver, and it's a tiny one!

JeffInMass

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2006
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Explorer XS, Fisher CZ6A
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Taking advantage of a beautiful, mid-December day, my hunting partner and I traveled down the Cape to a park/playground, originally housing a church in the 1830's. The ground was soft from yesterday's downpours, so I decided to wake the SE Pro up from its hibernation and see if I could sniff out some deepies.

Not 5 minutes after turning on the SE, I got a high tone that bounced around the upper right and then a little lower- pinpointing about 8 to 10 inches down. The soil down here is obviously sand-based, so I was down a good 8+ inches when I scooped it out- tossed it in my bucket and saw a little, silver-looking round item. I took it over to Dave and we pulled it out- it was indeed an 1829 Capped Bust half-dime, in great shape!

Managed a pretty beat 1883 Indian and a couple of wheats, but no more silver. Only covered about half the place, as the SE beats me up compared to the Nox, but I'll go back the next decent day.

Enjoy the pics and HH!
Jeff

Attachments

• 1829halfdimeo1r.JPG
    1829halfdimeo1r.JPG
    260.2 KB · Views: 141
  • 1829halfdimer2r.JPG
    1829halfdimer2r.JPG
    291.7 KB · Views: 105
Upvote 66
Congrats on a real beauty:icon_thumleft:

Very nice. Congratulations :icon_thumright:

Sweet little silver. Gotta love anything that is Capped Bust.

Thats so freakin cool I want one of those really bad my bucket still waits...Well done

Sweet capped bust Jeff congrats bud....:icon_thumright:

Thanks Tony- truthfully I was really hoping for my first trime, but I'm not disappointed with this beauty! Looking forward to next spring with you guys already..

Thats so freakin cool I want one of those really bad my bucket still waits...Well done

Thanks Tommy- they only made these for 9 years and I've knocked 4 dates off the list. Stay with it and you'll knock it off the list!

That's an amazing recovery Jeff. Capped bust coins don't come around that often, and when they do, they should be celebrated! Great, great find.

That's a beauty, my friend. Gotta' love the faithful SE Pro!:occasion14:

Thanks Bryce! I totally agree, if I'm deep seeking down here in our soft soil, it's the SE Pro for me. Merry Christmas my friend!

Sweet old coin find, congrats! :icon_thumleft:

Congrats on an outstanding coin.

gotta love those half dimes

Nice old silver.

Congrats on a killer silver!

Yep!! She's a pretty one :icon_thumleft: My oldest US is a Capped Bust 1/2. Congrats!!

Nice find!! That silver beauties in great condition too ..Congrats :icon_thumleft:

Absolutely beautiful coin! Congrats

Thanks for all the kind words- very much appreciated!

Congratulations! That is in AWESOME shape too!! What a coin!!!

Congratulations! I’ve got one of those under my belt, truly a great find!

Great coin find on a great weather day (for a change...).

The very first signal I dug with my then-new Garrett ADS Master Hunter 7 in 1985 was a Capped Bust half dime. I was so excited to have found it that I continued to hunt even though it started to rain. I quit when it became erratic and I saw the meter was half full of water. I sent it back to Garrett with an explanation that it was my fault and I did not expect a free fix under the warranty. They sent it back with a note explaining the detector was not waterproof and no charge for the repair.

Truly awesome little silver coin! Congrats

Congrats on a real beauty:icon_thumleft:

Very nice. Congratulations :icon_thumright:

Sweet little silver. Gotta love anything that is Capped Bust.

That's an amazing recovery Jeff. Capped bust coins don't come around that often, and when they do, they should be celebrated! Great, great find.

Thanks for all the kind words about this recovery- truly appreciated!

Nice find! It's always cool to see someone post capped silver!

Wow very very nice coin to find especially on good olde cape cod!!!! Congrats!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back