What's new

On the fence about this one?

baspinall

Bronze Member
Joined
Jul 23, 2006
Messages
2,465
Reaction score
846
Golden Thread
1
Location
Pennsylvania
🥇 Banner finds
1
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Minelab Equinox 800
GPX 4500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found this the other day in a creek bed. Not totally sold on it being a point. But on the other hand it kind of looks worked. Maybe pounded by the creek for years? Opinions welcome.

Brian
 

Attachments

  • DSC_0008 [50%].webp
    DSC_0008 [50%].webp
    113.1 KB · Views: 175
  • DSC_0007 [50%].webp
    DSC_0007 [50%].webp
    111.3 KB · Views: 149
  • DSC_0004 [50%].webp
    DSC_0004 [50%].webp
    95.5 KB · Views: 163
  • DSC_0005 [50%].webp
    DSC_0005 [50%].webp
    100.4 KB · Views: 153
Upvote 0
I'm never afraid to call a geofact a geofact, but that does appear to be humanly modified (artifact).
 
looks like a well worn adena robbins blade, is it flint i cant really tell from the picture got a closer up picture?
 
I'm never afraid to call a geofact a geofact, but that does appear to be humanly modified (artifact).

are you ever afraid to call a humanly modified artifact a humanly modified artifact??
 
I am used to finding white flint around my area. Not sure if this is flint or not. I'll try to get better pictures tomorrow.
 
are you ever afraid to call a humanly modified artifact a humanly modified artifact??

Good point. I fear nothing! Wait, my wife's lasagna just popped into mind....and snakes. That's it, nothing but them...and midget zombies. OK, that's it, lasagna, snakes and lil dead people...and needles. Crap...I'm a wuss!
 
Baspinall, I think you've got somethin' there! I have one with the same characteristics(smooth from being in the creek/river bed for all those years)
 
Its a poplar island point. Made of either argilite or ironstone. It weathers much quicker than flint and it looks like its been in the water a while. Good find.
 
In local area books Ive read and talkin to oldtimers we really dont use the term adena for any points here. Poplar island would probably be the closest. True adena stops showing up as much once you are past west pa. Although i can say I got a couple points that are damn close. If I would have found that point in northern md or southeast pa it would be a poplar. jmo
 
Definitely an artifact. Most probably a Poplar Island with, as you said, some love from the creek over the years. Nice find.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom