What's new

On vacation and scoring in Midwest UPDATED

packerbacker

Gold Member
Joined
May 11, 2005
Messages
8,350
Reaction score
2,992
Golden Thread
0
Location
Northern California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Stopped at a bank in a small North-central Iowa town. I went in and asked for halves. They asked how many I wanted and I only had $300 cash on me. They said the halves were all loose and they would run $300 worth through the coin counter. I said fine and they put the halves in a canvas bag for me. We checked some out when I got to the car and saw a LOT of silver. My wife went back in and bought the remaining $700 worth. When we were done we had 500 silver halves! 500 silver halves out of $1000 worth!! Funny thing, not one of them was a 64 or earlier. Later we stopped at another Iowa bank (only one in little town) and got $200 worth. Got 1 Walker..1934, 3 90%ers and 5 40%ers. I'm in Wisconsin now and heading to Missouri on Tuesday. Took a pic of the coins so far.
 

Attachments

  • 500.webp
    500.webp
    87.1 KB · Views: 480
Upvote 0
Re: On vacation and scoring in Midwest

That is a load of silver PB. Congrats on such a huge haul!!! I am sure you & Mrs PB are having fun out there. Now that is a road trip...lol.

Keep us posted on the results on the hunts while you on vacation if you can.

Be careful and keep em coming.....
 
Re: On vacation and scoring in Midwest

Thanks for the responses. I have only had this short time on the net since last Wednesday and haven't had time to read everyone's posts. I'll have to see how you all are doing when I get home. Hope you're scoring BIG!
 
Re: On vacation and scoring in Midwest

50% find rate, GREAT!!
 
Re: On vacation and scoring in Midwest

Haha you are paying for your trip!
;D
 
Re: On vacation and scoring in Midwest

DREAM BAG!!!!
Nice score!~
 
Re: On vacation and scoring in Midwest

Most excellent keeper rate !

Kudos.
 
Re: On vacation and scoring in Midwest

Wow! That pic is now a great screen saver. :)
 
Re: On vacation and scoring in Midwest

Great job. Way to work that vacation time :).
 
Re: On vacation and scoring in Midwest

Cool haul. Way to go.

I'm going to Hawaii next week for vacation, but I don't think my wife will let me search halves when I should be on the beach putting sunscreen on her back and making sure the sun is positioned right for her. LOL. I'll suffer though, and ignore halves for a week. ;-)
 
Re: On vacation and scoring in Midwest

Fantastic day! My banks always tell me they don't have any halves.
 
Re: On vacation and scoring in Midwest

Actually it's a 25% find rate (500 silver halves out of 2000 halves) but I am not complaining. I couldn't believe it but I'm still surprised at the lack of '64 halves. It's like someone knew they were silver and kept them but didn't know about the 40%ers.
 
Re: On vacation and scoring in Midwest UPDATED!!!!

Finally back from 5100 mile mini vacation. Roll hunting was just a sideline thing to do but made it even more fun. Here are the grand totals. 551 40%ers, only 6 90% Kennedys, 1 1934 Walking Liberty, 5 foreign coins from coin counter and I picked up 80 Ike dollars although I don't know why. :D
Oh, almost forgot. We were turning in the clad halves at various Indian casinos during the trip. When we got back to Nevada we decided to stop at the Peppermill Casino in Wendover and cash in the last bunch which ended up being $1,080 worth. While we were there I told my wife to put $100 in a $5 slot just to cap off the vacation with a little fun. She hit it for $4,500!!!! We had them take the taxes out right there so she ended up with $3,020 cash ($1,480 in taxes >:() Then, when we got to Reno, we stopped for gas at a place that had a small casino attached to it. I hit a slot for $400 more while we were there. Fun times!!
 

Attachments

  • totals.webp
    totals.webp
    11.6 KB · Views: 202
Try putting the Ikes on ebay. Might get a little profit for them, especially if they are in nice condition.
 
Not a vacation-

Profitable business trip!!
Great job!!!!!
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom