Once in a lifetime opportunity. Help!

highnam

Bronze Member
Jan 23, 2012
Western Washington
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello Botttle hunters-

For the past 10 years I have been primarily metal detecting old logging camps and a shingle mill.
When I started having success I would go and visit with a old couple who used to bottle hunt in the same camps in the 50’s and 60’s. I knew they would love seeing anything and they would live vicariously through me in my adventures tonthese camps.
I would bring them my MD finds and the occasional bottles I would dig up while metal detecting.
The windows in their house were lined with old bottles and have been catching sun and enhancing their color for 60-70 years.
Last year the husband followed his wife in passing away. The adult step son inherited everything. I have driven by the house for the passed year, and this overwhelming feeling came over me to go and talk with the step-son. I really hopped he remembered me coming by to visit with his folks....indeed he did! He welcomed me and called me by my first name.
I told him I didn’t expect him ever to part with his bottle inheritance, but if he ever wanted too that I would help him determine values as researching these local historical finds would be as much fun as anything. He immediately said he wanted to sell the bottles as the old couple also collected books, arrowheads and a few other things.
He is working to clean out their massive book collection now and figures In September we would start with the bottles.
I was overjoyed when he said he would sell me any bottles I wanted at a fair price (for helping him out)! I know I will find a couple that I just have to have.
I can date bottles pretty well and this area doesn’t have much history before the late 1800’s.
I do notice that the there is a large amount of Western Whiskey bottles and they are the prizes of the collection. All the medicine bottles are embossed but probably mass produced.

My questions are: Is there a up-too-date bottle price guide that is recommended? I only know about EBay “completed listings” for any current sold prices.

What to look for? Whiskey bottles are king, but what other “western” bottles should I look for?

Is EBay the place to sell?

lastly....I was hoping to use the expertise here to help find information about bottles I can’t identify, I wanted to be fully prepared so I don’t waste anyone’s time. any information welcome!!
Thank You!

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Find some on Ebay and look at completed items. In the land of Covid I don't know of any new publications, but I haven't been looking for bottle books this year and most if not all bottle shows have been cancelled.

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If possible, pictures would help. Good sharp pics of 3 or 4 bottles at a time would be great.

CoinFetcher

Bronze Member
Apr 29, 2012
Left coast
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Love to treasure hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anything that says WT (washington territory) Is worth big bucks.

Their is a bottle collecting club in Renton, maybe reach out to them.

I am really trying to get on to a logging camp permission in my home of skagit county. Do you have any maps or go-to place for logging camps? One of the local ‘English’ logging camps is what I’m really looking for.

Garscale

Bronze Member
May 4, 2020
East texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
While you are at it...get pics if the arrowheads and post on the artifact forum please.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions