Once we find the gold... where or to whom do we sell it to?

Gold_Needle

Jun 21, 2005
Upvote 0

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello,

There are many sites out there, here is one called Midwest Refineries.
http://www.midwestrefineries.com/gold.htm

I have yet to send any in, as I put all my ring finds the wife doesnt claim on a necklace. I will eventually send them in, but not in any hurry. I also read that it is better to send in large amount rather then a few rings at a time.

Good luck and good hunting,

Marty

OP
OP
Gold_Needle

Gold_Needle

Jun 21, 2005
Hi,

Spoke to the U.S. Mint today, and then the IRS (yuck) and could not get through to the US Treasury (no pun intended).

Does anyone know if the US Gov't buys gold directly from people?

I know there are the above mentioned companies but they want a % of the price for a transaction.

I was hoping to sell direct for the current spot price. Or am I being as greedy as the gold dealers and Gov't????

Thanks

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gold_Needle said:
Hi,

I was hoping to sell direct for the current spot price. Or am I being as greedy as the gold dealers and Gov't????

Thanks

lol-cartoon-ag1.gif

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good luck in your quest for gold. If you do happen upon any actual "nuggets" they will sell for more than spot price because they are considered "gemstones" and much more rare than dust or flakes. 98% of the worlds gold comes from gold "dust", not nuggets. As for spot price on the dust, good luck. I see Mrs.O mentioned your in S.D., is that so? If so here are some potential sites to search for gold-

LAWRENCE: Bald Mtn District - 3 m West and SW from Lead, Mogul Mine.
.....Deadwood-Two Bit District - around Deadwood. Mostly from placers in Deadwood Gulch and the following creeks: Two Bit, Elk, Strawberry. Also Strawberry Gulch. Mines: Cloverleaf, Mascot.
.....Garden District - 1-3 miles N from Lead. Maitland mine - 3 miles NNW from Lead.
.....Lead District - at Lead. HOMESTAKE MINING COMPANY.
.....Squaw Creek District - 6 miles W from Lead. Includes Elk Mtn, Carbonate, Ragged Top areas. Placers at Squaw and Annie creeks. MORE MINES: Gold Reward - 2 miles SW from Lead; Wasp No 2 - 2 miles S. Gilt Edge - 5 miles ESE; Spearfish - 7 miles W; Uncle Sam - 7 miles SE; Lundberg, Door and Wilson - 2 miles WSW; Hoodoo-Union Hill - 5 miles ESE; Reliance - 5 miles W; Hidden Fortune - .5 mile N.
PENNINGTON: Hill City District - near headwaters of Spring Creek and around Hill City to the NW. JR mine - 3 miles NE from Hill City.
.....Keystone District - 1.5 miles SE to 3.5 miles NW from Keystone. Mines: Keystone-Holy Terror.
.....Rockerville Placer District - E from Rockerville.

Good Luck! :)

OP
OP
Gold_Needle

Gold_Needle

Jun 21, 2005
Hi all,

Thanks for responding with all this good info.

Ahhh, Treasure Hunter... I will take that as a yes I am being greedy.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gold_Needle ,

Sorry, I never meant to imply you were being greedy.

I was only kidding about the "I was hoping to sell direct for the current spot price.".

;D

OP
OP
Gold_Needle

Gold_Needle

Jun 21, 2005
Hi Treasure Hunter,

Well, I am greedy !!!

Seems it is rather hard to sell raw gold, harder than I thought. This is crazy.

I guess the Gov't does not want anything better looking than the paper stuff they make and call money.

Shepcal, in a different posting, said that jewlers, when they are polite, will offer 45% to 50% of the value of the find. Yikes, that is horrible.

This will take some more looking.

Guess I could always open up my own country and back up my paper money with gold!

Jeffro

Silver Member
Dec 6, 2005
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ5, White's GM VSat
My local coin shop will give 70 percent of the gold content. You could try a refiner as well, for the ugly stuff.

Nuggets you could probably sell at a flea market or on the net somewhere, if they look good or look like something in particular.

Dust and flakes goes good in those vials as mentioned earlier. They also make some mounts for bezels you can put on a necklace and sell. You'll get the most profit this way, but it reqires time and an audience to sell to.

I don't sell, so I have no practical experience with any of these methods, just what I have heard through the years. :)

Hoser John

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Redding,Calif.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In 50+ years a gold grubbn' I ain't ever had any problem selling any gold I've found. From swapmeets,refiners,collectors,friends,relatives,jewelers and the amazing massive list of internet forums all have for sale sections. Find it and it will sell.Tons a au 2 u 2-John

S

stefen

Gold_Needle said:
Hi,

Spoke to the U.S. Mint today, and then the IRS (yuck) and could not get through to the US Treasury (no pun intended).

Does anyone know if the US Gov't buys gold directly from people?

I know there are the above mentioned companies but they want a % of the price for a transaction.

Thanks

Just for grins, approach the IRS with a nugget in your hands and watch it disappear...

PS. Use a liberal application of vasoline first.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread