Jan 8, 2007
Hazelwood, MO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's Prizm II, White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi all,

The weather's supposed to be going downhill tomorrow with cold and rain, so I thought I'd better get out and hunt one more time.

First I went out down the street to a vacant house and re-checked the yard once more just to be sure if I had missed anything since the last time I checked it..I was there several times since the summer, and even though the yard and house are kind of a mess I wanted to give it one more go..what was a junk signal turned out to be this old button..it was found at maybe 7 inches..

F3.jpg

F2.jpg

Not much else was found, but as I was leaving I went up to the side of the deck where a barrel planter was and some big rocks.

F5.jpg

F9.jpg

My detector didn't go off until I raised it up quite a ways, and then I noticed a flat area sticking out from under some dirt and the big rocks..it was a large, flat sheet of metal.

I moved some of the rocks out of the way (they were pretty heavy) and shimmied the metal sheet out and flipped it over. I found out it was a street sign!

This is what it looked like after it was uncovered.

F6.jpg

And here I am with it after I cleaned it up a bit.

F7.jpg

The sign measures 36 inches tall by 30 inches wide and is the largest thing I've ever dug (besides a full sized shovel I found over the summer). I have no idea how it got there..it may have been stolen off a post some years ago, who knows.

I got to another old neighborhood before the kids came home from school, but that'll be another post. Hope you all had a great day.

Nat

Upvote 0

mastereagle22

Silver Member
May 15, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Explorer II, Xterra30, Whites Prizm IV
That button is sweat. I am going to try and sneak out tomorrow for a little while or it will be Thursday before I could go again.

Cool sign too.

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find Nat. When we were kids we may have "relocated" a few road signs and hid them in the woods. Kids who grow up in the country have alot of time on their hands. I should go back there now and find them all......if I could remember where they all were. That was a long time ago. ;D :D

seeker443

Greenie
Nov 23, 2007
Auburn New York
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
when I was a kid I had a 1966 oldsmobile and it had holes rusted through the floor. we used street signs as floorboards so we didnt get wet in the wintertime. ::)

txkickergirl

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2007
George West, TX
Detector(s) used
SOV, EXCAL, CZ20, & more
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
maybe its one of those treasure signs everyone talks about see any turtles near by???lol

when I was a kid me and my friend walked up the road and stole the dead end sign one night(we lived in the country and at the end of the dead end) anyway, we hung it on my wall. The next morning my dad is waking us up yelling, after all was said and done my friend and I had to take the sign back with tools and all and put it back on the pole. It was alot easier removing it then putting it back. This was in front of all the neighbors which just happened to be out mowing their yards or doing yard work. It sure taught me a lesson about not taking things that didn't belong to you even if it was only a sign.

Wasabi

Nov 7, 2005
Brevard County, FL ~ USA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalinbur II,White's Beach Hunter ID 300, Garrett AT Pro, Minelab E-Trac, Fisher F75, Tesoro Golden UMax, Whites 4900/D, Bounty Hunter IV, Bounty Hunter Big Bud
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nate that is a very cooooool button.
Sure don't see much like that around anymore.
WTG

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
plehbah said:
Is anyone else reminded of the incident with Prince holding his guitar a certain way, behind a curtain, and playing half time at the Super Bowl? Very crafty,Natman!
Thats strange. I was thinking the exact same thing.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions