One of my favourite old coins

Chilli

Feb 10, 2022
OZ
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705
Garrett 24k
Seeing the Indian Head cents found by another member here recently, thekingd93, reminded me of one of my favourite finds I made a number of years ago, an Indian Head Cent. Its not in great condition as our mineralised ground on the goldfields here in Australia is harsh to most metals to say the least. But I was and am still so happy to have found it. It was at an old homesite, everything building wise long gone, on a good gold area. I found it in a garden bed and it immediately made me think of the movie title "The Indian at the bottom of the garden!"
I thought id lost it as I had tried to find it several times in the past years. Found it the other day whilst packing to move. Made my day.
Its 1859, not in great condition but still one of my favourite finds.
IMG_20220521_105200_201~3.jpg
IMG_20220521_105243_144~2.jpg

Upvote 15

Ocean7

Bronze Member
Apr 15, 2004
SE, PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Explorer II
Garrett MASTER HUNTER 7
Garrett ADS DEEPSEEKER
Compass X100
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Seeing the Indian Head cents found by another member here recently, thekingd93, reminded me of one of my favourite finds I made a number of years ago, an Indian Head Cent...
well that's a cool find in OZ and not in bad condition! I remember one of the first IHP's I ever found was at a colonial house site that had been bulldozed. I hunted and hunted and found nothing but junk. Just as I was about to leave - I got a signal and there on top of the dirt was sitting 1865 Indian head penny as if waiting me.
As for coins found from far away lands, I found a very old Russia 2 Kopeks. It makes ya wonder.

Attachments

• Russia 2 Kopeks .jpg
    Russia 2 Kopeks .jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 35
OP
OP
Chilli

Chilli

Feb 10, 2022
OZ
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705
Garrett 24k
well that's a cool find in OZ and not in bad condition! I remember one of the first IHP's I ever found was at a colonial house site that had been bulldozed. I hunted and hunted and found nothing but junk. Just as I was about to leave - I got a signal and there on top of the dirt was sitting 1865 Indian head penny as if waiting me.
As for coins found from far away lands, I found a very old Russia 2 Kopeks. It makes ya wonder.
It does make you wonder about the history of things like these doesn't it.
Iv found a few hundred English and Aussie coins from the early days, 1800s to early 1900s, a number of Chinese, but in 30 yrs thats the only American one I have found even though many came here in the Goldrush days.
That's why I like it so much. In fact out of all my friends over those yrs none of them found one.
An old Russian coin! That'd be a good find for sure👍

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find for sure. WHY not send it to me and i will clean it up better. NO RETURN ADDRESS NEEDED LOL NICE FIND THOUGH !!!

OP
OP
Chilli

Chilli

Feb 10, 2022
OZ
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705
Garrett 24k
Nice find for sure. WHY not send it to me and i will clean it up better. NO RETURN ADDRESS NEEDED LOL NICE FIND THOUGH !!!
Nope, one of my best keepers for sure 👍
Thanks friend.

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That one is in better shape than probably every one I have dug!

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Chilli you can not blame me for trying can you ? LOL

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Seeing the Indian Head cents found by another member here recently, thekingd93, reminded me of one of my favourite finds I made a number of years ago, an Indian Head Cent. Its not in great condition as our mineralised ground on the goldfields here in Australia is harsh to most metals to say the least. But I was and am still so happy to have found it. It was at an old homesite, everything building wise long gone, on a good gold area. I found it in a garden bed and it immediately made me think of the movie title "The Indian at the bottom of the garden!"
I thought id lost it as I had tried to find it several times in the past years. Found it the other day whilst packing to move. Made my day.
View attachment 2027907 View attachment 2027906
Be proud to have dug that coin!
It’s an oldie!
I believe my first Indian Cent was dug in Connecticut and I live in CA. !

billb

Silver Member
Sep 23, 2010
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2,,silver sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Chilli
Congratulations on your beautiful accomplishment
Thanks again for sharing

3cylbill

Jul 2, 2015
s.tier NY
Detector(s) used
TESORO, MINELAB, WHITES , GARRETT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
1859 Indian NO shield at the top of the wreath only the first year...

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice going AGAIN !!!

Jorgeke

Bronze Member
Oct 13, 2021
View attachment 2027907 View attachment 2027906
Very nice finding

Congrats 🥳 😎

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread