What's new

One Pound of Silver From One Hole!

Fenway

Full Member
Joined
Jun 30, 2012
Messages
129
Reaction score
183
Golden Thread
0
Location
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Excal II,
CTX 30-30, White's TDI Beach Hunter
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I was finally able to hook up with Whydah for another hunt. I was certainly not disappointed!

When this showed up in my scoop I thought it was a toy or something. I could not tell how heavy it was because my scoop was full of rocks. When I first picked it up I was thinking "wow, that's heavy"! When I flipped it over and saw that it was stamped "one pound of fine silver .999" I was still in disbelief! I could faintly hear Leighton saying "what is it buddy" as I just kept staring at this coin in amazement! I still can't believe it!

Another thing that is cool about this coin is that it is from 1986 when I worked at Fenway Park. Yes, the ball went through Buckner's legs! I was able to see all of the home games from that year and the few years that followed. I was just a sophomore in high school then and the memories will be with me forever. That's when I earned the nickname "Fenway" from all of my buddies.

On the way home we discussed ways this coin could have ended up out in the mud. It's not really a coin that someone would bring to the beach and then lose. Was it thrown there? Was it sacrificed???

The gold eluded us yesterday, but I certainly grabbed my best find to date!

20140815_140108.webp20140814_144525.webp20140815_140037.webp

Thanks for another unbelievable hunt Buddy, you never cease to amaze! :headbang:
Looking forward to our next adventure!

Still in shock,
Fenway
 
Upvote 0
Now that's a rare detecting find...you got my banner vote...congrats.
 
Never knew they made those. I will dig all beer cans for now on. Congrats

sponge using smoke signals.
Yep, the guys that leave the big signals like beer cans, would also leave something like that. Where did you get that stone crab claw in your avatar pic, that thing is huge.
 
i vote banner also this is my first banner vote congrats on a real nice find
 
Wow, that a once-in-a-lifetime find!

You should weigh it to get its weight (I apologize if this was brought up earlier in the thread). There is the 16 oz pound we're all used to, and then there's a "troy pound" which is used in metals. A troy pound is 12 ounces. But that would just be a shame to only find 12 ounces of silver, haha!

congrats on an awesome find!
 
Awesome find buddy , would love to have some of those rattling in my pocket , congrats ..cheers Mick
 
Amazing recovery, one heck of a coin

powered by pull tabs
 
Yep, the guys that leave the big signals like beer cans, would also leave something like that. Where did you get that stone crab claw in your avatar pic, that thing is huge.

I cant tell you where I got it but I will tell you it was better than the beer. Lol

sponge using smoke signals.
 
WOW that's a big coin. Great find. Maybe there was a roll of them.
 
Whoa! Was wondering what happened to Whydah! Glad you all are hitting it!:icon_queen:
I am still here...just been a little quiet lately... I am still out hunting...been busy with the radio show and doing some seminars over the past few months...Have a great day buddy...
 
Nice digs and thanks for the pics
 
Holy guacamole, that's a handful of silver! Congrats!!
 
Great find!! Just when the immigration situation is in full controversy you come up with this "monster coin" that relates to it! That's really uncanny.
 
Wow! How deep was it? I'm surprised you dug it up. If I got a signal like that, I would presume it to be another of a zillion soda cans I find when I dig those huge, high pitched targets, and just pass it by.
 
You know what all of the veterans say: "dig everything"! It was not that deep. In fact, I kept "pushing" the target with my scoop - probably because it would not fit in easily! So I chased it around for a while! I am fortunate that it did not get all scratched up with all that chasing!

HH
Fenway
 
I normally scoop everything at the beach too but if I get an overload or an "aluminum can" hit, it's real easy to say "to heck with it" after you've been baking in the hot sun for a few hours and your arms feel like jello.
 
Cladgrabber, its funny because my CTX never gave me the "overload" signal when I was digging it. I just bench tested it and I did get the overload signal. Weird. ???

Fenway
 
Epic find bro! I would have bet money it was a soda can and skipped it.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom