gtoast99

Jun 28, 2010
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 5000
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I recently went to the "Diggin in Virginia" invitational hunt in in Culpeper, VA. Here's my results from a week of digging at the Battle of Brandy Station. I've got quite a few "personal firsts" in the mix, which was cool. These include my very first 69 minie, ringtail sharps, gardner, eagle button, and belt adjuster. I also got a couple of shell frags which is pretty cool, a fair number of other bullets, and a few odds and ends.

On the first day of the hunt I was hunting in a field where several confederate buttons had been found (including block A and NC). At the very end of the day I recovered my best button of the trip (which I sadly forgot to include in the group shot!) - an Ordnance Officer's coat button. This rather uncommon button was made for the US in the 1830's-40's, but based on the location found, was most likely re-purposed as a Confederate artilleryman's button.

On day three I got a bullet signal, and dug down to find a deep three-ring minie, partially black with charcoal. Down in the hole I could see more charcoal, and thought I might be getting into a fire pit or hut site. I started digging out some more, and sure enough I saw another three ringer roll out of the dirt pile! The total for the pit was eight three ringers (I got 5, my friend who helped me got 3), some broken glass, and my FIRST complete Civil War bottle. It's a small medicine bottle, nothing fancy, but I'm THRILLED to have found it. I still need to clean that one up.

And of course you can see the centerpiece - my first sabre belt plate, found in a large cavalry camp on the property. This is my third plate, and while it's not my best one, it is in the best condition. I'm super happy with this find!!

Thanks to God for allowing me to stumble across these historic finds. And thanks to you for reading, and in advance for any comments you might have.

Video of the hunt, including the bottle and plate, can be seen here:

Attachments

• div finds.JPG
    div finds.JPG
    103 KB · Views: 167
  • ord button.JPG
    ord button.JPG
    35 KB · Views: 354
  • chillin in the hole.JPG
    chillin in the hole.JPG
    99.3 KB · Views: 106
  • buckle in hole.JPG
    buckle in hole.JPG
    86.9 KB · Views: 116
  • buckle.JPG
    buckle.JPG
    83.3 KB · Views: 100
Last edited:
Upvote 0
Looks like you had an awesome week, congrats!!!!

Homerun!! Great saves.

Big Congrats on some GREAT finds... Would love a week like that!!!

Hell of a hole.....but a lot of great stuff

Thats the kind of hole I used to dig before I purchased a pinpointer!.....Nice finds BTW!

Very nice - HH

Big Congrats on your CW relics ! Killer < Banner Worthy > Yankee sword plate from the US Ist Cav. Great vid and it's great to see ya gettin' down and dirty in the red dirt fire pit.. ha ha the pic is Krazy 8)8)8)

dawg

Thanks for the kind words everyone!!

If they make a pinpointer for glass, I'd pay big bucks for it, lol.

CMDiamondDawg, thanks for the high praise. I dunno as it's banner worthy, but it'll be a centerpiece of my collection for sure. :D

looks like so much fun. Great finds

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back