Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
But its never about "quantity".

0426221610a~2.jpg

And, no....I wasn't hunting a golf course. ;)

0426221611~2.jpg

Interesting?

As I was walking along, enjoying a wonderful day for detecting in a cornfield. I was getting very bored with every signal being 27-29!! When I barely caught a glimpse of a 51! Inbetween all those 29 hits. Did I mention I was bored?

I stopped, checked again. Deep but unmistakably a nickle hit! I dug....several times. Finally, at about 14 inches! The shield nickle showed up! I didn't try to clean in the field but could tell it was a shield!

Happy camper! :happy3:

Still humming to myself after that one, I got another, similar hit less than a foot away!!

Couldn't tell , but, this close to the last one!? Turns out that someone had a *VERY* bad day! Losing five whole cents!? Back then!?!? I had to dig!!

A foot away and almost exactly the same depth, one of my favorite coins shows itself! A *lovely* Two Cent Piece!!!

A pocket spill! Just had to come from a same pocket!! :)

Boy! Talk about a bad day!!!

And as a bonus? They are both in wonderful condition!!

It has been a *VERY* long time since I found a pocket spill from the 1860's

0426221612~2.jpg

0426221729~2.jpg

1866 & 1864!!
:happy2:

Now *THIS* is more like why I got in this hobby!

Thanks for peeking and for giving me a place to share my joy!

Upvote 33

Hunk-a-lead

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2020
Kansas City
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Predator Phoenix Shovel
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
But its never about "quantity".

View attachment 2023269

And, no....I wasn't hunting a golf course. ;)

View attachment 2023270
Interesting?

As I was walking along, enjoying a wonderful day for detecting in a cornfield. I was getting very bored with every signal being 27-29!! When I barely caught a glimpse of a 51! Inbetween all those 29 hits. Did I mention I was bored?

I stopped, checked again. Deep but unmistakably a nickle hit! I dug....several times. Finally, at about 14 inches! The shield nickle showed up! I didn't try to clean in the field but could tell it was a shield!

Happy camper! :happy3:

Still humming to myself after that one, I got another, similar hit less than a foot away!!

Couldn't tell , but, this close to the last one!? Turns out that someone had a *VERY* bad day! Losing five whole cents!? Back then!?!? I had to dig!!

A foot away and almost exactly the same depth, one of my favorite coins shows itself! A *lovely* Two Cent Piece!!!

A pocket spill! Just had to come from a same pocket!! :)

Boy! Talk about a bad day!!!

And as a bonus? They are both in wonderful condition!!

It has been a *VERY* long time since I found a pocket spill from the 1860's

View attachment 2023271
View attachment 2023272

1866 & 1864!!
:happy2:

Now *THIS* is more like why I got in this hobby!

Thanks for peeking and for giving me a place to share my joy!
2 shields on one hunt, outtasite!

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
But, you see, the "Pro" stopped finding certain nickels! I couldn't allow that! :angel12:

Long time no hear Old friend, Dude. I thought you gave up this hobby!

So, how is Dave these days?!

Thanks for stopping by!
Stopped finding nickels??? No wonder you updated! Dave is well, thank you. 2 wonderful grandchildren now that occupy time and thought😁. I still have detectors, but don’t get many chances to use them. Went out permission seeking a few weeks ago, and got cursed out for asking permission to do an old farm by a foul mouthed female! Apparently the jokers in our hobby that do not ask permission has made this woman a bit more than “ upset “ with all of us🤣. An experience like that will make you rethink your hobby choices, lol. I honestly thought she might shoot me before I could leave! It seemed everywhere else I stopped, the people thanked me for asking, and told me most don’t ask, they just trespass. Tough times here in Pa. Still can’t detect state game lands without written permission from a director. They hold most of the older colonial sites. My old fallback sites have been leased to a private hunting club that will not allow anyone access.
Anywho, I hope you’re well. Maybe someday, I will get a good site and have some nice finds like yours here.
Good luck!

OP
OP
WHADIFIND

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Whoa! You got a new detector? I thought for sure you’d drive the wheels off that AT Pro:metaldetector::laughing7::laughing7:. Congrats on those oldies, Gary. He who stumbles through corn fields was aptly named:hello2:

Stopped finding nickels??? No wonder you updated! Dave is well, thank you. 2 wonderful grandchildren now that occupy time and thought😁. I still have detectors, but don’t get many chances to use them. Went out permission seeking a few weeks ago, and got cursed out for asking permission to do an old farm by a foul mouthed female! Apparently the jokers in our hobby that do not ask permission has made this woman a bit more than “ upset “ with all of us🤣. An experience like that will make you rethink your hobby choices, lol. I honestly thought she might shoot me before I could leave! It seemed everywhere else I stopped, the people thanked me for asking, and told me most don’t ask, they just trespass. Tough times here in Pa. Still can’t detect state game lands without written permission from a director. They hold most of the older colonial sites. My old fallback sites have been leased to a private hunting club that will not allow anyone access.
Anywho, I hope you’re well. Maybe someday, I will get a good site and have some nice finds like yours here.
Good luck!
It has tightened up considerably nowadays. :dontknow:

Still best to find a way to get permission. All that's needed is one or two really big, private places. One can take a lifetime to *truly* cover any large area! A couple places? A couple lifetimes!

Like my mansion, no matter how many times I go for a walk there. I *always* find something interesting!

No worries there, just show up and start walking. Nice to know one is welcome.

Even these latest two shielded coins? I have been across this same area many times! One just never knows!

Maybe we can try again......someday.

Take care Dave!

JeffInMass

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2006
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Explorer XS, Fisher CZ6A
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Two real beauties, so similar in design (on one side)- Congrats!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread