Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
But its never about "quantity".

0426221610a~2.jpg

And, no....I wasn't hunting a golf course. ;)

0426221611~2.jpg

Interesting?

As I was walking along, enjoying a wonderful day for detecting in a cornfield. I was getting very bored with every signal being 27-29!! When I barely caught a glimpse of a 51! Inbetween all those 29 hits. Did I mention I was bored?

I stopped, checked again. Deep but unmistakably a nickle hit! I dug....several times. Finally, at about 14 inches! The shield nickle showed up! I didn't try to clean in the field but could tell it was a shield!

Happy camper! :happy3:

Still humming to myself after that one, I got another, similar hit less than a foot away!!

Couldn't tell , but, this close to the last one!? Turns out that someone had a *VERY* bad day! Losing five whole cents!? Back then!?!? I had to dig!!

A foot away and almost exactly the same depth, one of my favorite coins shows itself! A *lovely* Two Cent Piece!!!

A pocket spill! Just had to come from a same pocket!! :)

Boy! Talk about a bad day!!!

And as a bonus? They are both in wonderful condition!!

It has been a *VERY* long time since I found a pocket spill from the 1860's

0426221612~2.jpg

0426221729~2.jpg

1866 & 1864!!
:happy2:

Now *THIS* is more like why I got in this hobby!

Thanks for peeking and for giving me a place to share my joy!

Upvote 33

Florida Finder

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2020
Southern States of America
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

View attachment 2023269

View attachment 2023270
Interesting?

As I was walking along, enjoying a wonderful day for detecting in a cornfield. I was getting very bored with every signal being 27-29!! When I barely caught a glimpse of a 51! Inbetween all those 29 hits. Did I mention I was bored?

I stopped, checked again. Deep but unmistakably a nickle hit! I dug....several times. Finally, at about 14 inches! The shield nickle showed up! I didn't try to clean in the field but could tell it was a shield!

Still humming to myself after that one, I got another, similar hit less than a foot away!!

Couldn't tell , but, this close to the last one!? Turns out that someone had a *VERY* bad day! Losing five whole cents!? Back then!?!? I had to dig!!

A foot away and almost exactly the same depth, one of my favorite coins shows itself! A *lovely* Two Cent Piece!!!

View attachment 2023271
View attachment 2023272

1866 & 1864!!

Love those coins. Congratulations

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

View attachment 2023269

View attachment 2023270
Interesting?

View attachment 2023271
View attachment 2023272

1866 & 1864!!

Very Nice!!! Congrats!!!! Think that's the first time I've seen a Shield Nickel posted with a 2 Cent piece from the same hunt!!!

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
AMAZING FINDS thanks for sharing

OP
OP
WHADIFIND

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
South of the Mason-Dixon Line
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very Nice!!! Congrats!!!! Think that's the first time I've seen a Shield Nickel posted with a 2 Cent piece from the same hunt!!!
Its certainly a first for me!! :)
But, not only the same hunt. I believe these very possibly came out of a same pocket/purse. The conditions of these two sort of hint at them being lost when they were brand new. They were found within a foot of each other and both at about the same depth!

That surprised and impressed me also! This Max is truly a *DEEP* machine. I was using all-metal mode and both signals were clear and rang up as 51-57. At almost 14 inches!!! :o

Thanks!

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its certainly a first for me!! :)
But, not only the same hunt. I believe these very possibly came out of a same pocket/purse. The conditions of these two sort of hint at them being lost when they were brand new. They were found within a foot of each other and both at about the same depth!

That surprised and impressed me also! This Max is truly a *DEEP* machine. I was using all-metal mode and both signals were clear and rang up as 51-57. At almost 14 inches!!! :o

Thanks!
Very Good!!!

OP
OP
WHADIFIND

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow!
Quite the field.

Congrats on the eighteen hundred's pair!
And of course on the outing itself.
You're right about this field. Just wish this one could talk. I have found everything from 1700's to today here. Plus ancient and diversified modern "foreign" coins. Gold, silver, platinum, diamonds.....really one field with strange variety! :)

Thanks!

Old Dude

Gold Member
Feb 20, 2013
Luzerne County, Pa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Garrett ATPro, Garrett GTAx 500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Whoa! You got a new detector? I thought for sure you’d drive the wheels off that AT Pro:metaldetector::laughing7::laughing7:. Congrats on those oldies, Gary. He who stumbles through corn fields was aptly named:hello2:

OP
OP
WHADIFIND

WHADIFIND

Gold Member
Apr 9, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT-MAX
Garrett AT-PRO,
Garrett Groundhog,
Pro-Pointer,

Jack Hammer!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Whoa! You got a new detector? I thought for sure you’d drive the wheels off that AT Pro:metaldetector::laughing7::laughing7:. Congrats on those oldies, Gary. He who stumbles through corn fields was aptly named:hello2:
But, you see, the "Pro" stopped finding certain nickels! I couldn't allow that! :angel12:

Long time no hear Old friend, Dude. I thought you gave up this hobby!

So, how is Dave these days?!

Thanks for stopping by!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread